Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your coolest brewing contraption  (Read 10328 times)

jaybeerman

Re: Your coolest brewing contraption
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 03:43:11 pm »
Just curious:  Why is your hopback configured that way?   Which is the input and which is the output?  Where are the hops relative to the filter (above/below)?

Yeah I knew more explanation would be necessary, just wanted to get back to a book I was reading (the tender bar). The lid is on top and doesn't actually seal (or need to). It's a vertical setup, the quick connect on the side of the canister plugs directly into the outlet of my kettle.  This way the beer flow contacts all the hops as gravity pulls it down through the filter and out the bottom.  So the filter sits in the bottom of the canister just like it would in a coffee maker.  Yesterday (the only time it's been used), I ran the flow rate so that beer level in the canister stayed just below the lid thus all the hops were completely submerged.  If the homebrew hopbacks on the market were sold for $100-ish (still maintaining large profit) I wouldn't have bothered making my hopback or posting the instructions.  Funny, in general I'm anti most DIY homebrew equipment as sometimes it creates more problems than the builder thinks it solves.  Anyway the thing is simple, I bought all the parts in about two minutes and it did work well. I did machine the pipe thread nuts (from a stainless coupler) that you see in the pictures only because I didn't have stainless nuts  ::) sitting around.  Let me know if you have any further questions or thoughts.  Cheers, j
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:59:57 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 01:57:13 pm »
I'm making it right now. I am building my own stir plate. Just trying to get the magnet in the right spot to balance. Easier said than done...
How do I search threads on here without scrolling through dozens of pages? I'm sure there has to be a discussion on DIY stir plates somewhere.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 06:20:04 pm »
I'm making it right now. I am building my own stir plate. Just trying to get the magnet in the right spot to balance. Easier said than done...
How do I search threads on here without scrolling through dozens of pages? I'm sure there has to be a discussion on DIY stir plates somewhere.

At the top of every page, there's a line "HOME HELP SEARCH.....".  Just click on search and away you go
Joe

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 06:22:15 pm »
i see, says the blind man...
thanks.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 02:40:44 am »
Man this thread should be bumped. I like everything here. Especially the walk-in cooler. I've been fomenting some ideas about a cooler in the garage- can you lager in there hamiltont?

jaybeerman that elegantly simple hopback might make an excellent Randall. Have you considered this?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 08:06:17 am »
Sorry about the first 2 misfires.  I was figuring out how to post a picture and failing.   >:(

Here is my latest attempt at upgrading my grain mill table.  I designed it around scraps I had in the shop.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

narvin

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 08:39:49 am »
Didn't come up with the ideas for these, but I built them!

Grain mill motor

Toolbox pump

Hop stopper

Offline diverpat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 08:55:21 am »
I re-purposed a scuba diving pure oxygen bottle as my wort oxygenator.  It's a low pressure inflator hose hooked up to a 2 micron diffuser on a wand.  You could the same with air and nitrox bottles also.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 09:15:39 am »
several in the works. will post pics when complete.(rebuilding outside wall of my house from water damage)
1.  i have made small kegs out of 1 gallon apple juice bottles
2.  planning to make inverted conicals out of the same bottles
3. i have liquid nitrogen in office for freezing warts, thinking of procuring it as a nitrogen source for stouts. will use as cooling source to crash after ferment.  not sure how to do this one yet

Don AHA member

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 10:04:26 am »
3. i have liquid nitrogen in office for freezing warts, thinking of procuring it as a nitrogen source for stouts. will use as cooling source to crash after ferment.  not sure how to do this one yet

Cool - the "Boiling to pitching temps in 30 seconds" immersion chiller ;D
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

jaybeerman

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 12:00:02 pm »
Man this thread should be bumped. I like everything here. Especially the walk-in cooler. I've been fomenting some ideas about a cooler in the garage- can you lager in there hamiltont?

jaybeerman that elegantly simple hopback might make an excellent Randall. Have you considered this?

I agree that this was is a great thread.

This thing would totally fail as a randall, unfortunately.  I like the idea of the DIY filter randall though I've never tried building one.

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/clubgear/hash-back-aka-moormanator
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:35:05 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 12:18:52 pm »
I built one, it was easy and it's fun to use.  I'd recommend mounting it upside down though, it seems to foam less (since the foam rises and stays in the filter housing.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 08:55:36 pm »
What is that hopStopper made of, that is pretty sleek.

narvin

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 10:26:54 pm »
What is that hopStopper made of, that is pretty sleek.

12" x 24" stainless steel mesh from McMaster (part # 9230T625).  Folded in half with the edges criped twice and flattened... no stitching or anything else to keep the sides together.

Offline jill

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 09:56:29 am »
Hi all,

Please consider submitting your "contraptions" for the Jan/Feb 2012 Gadgets issue! If you're interested in seeing them in the magazine, email zymurgy@brewersassociation.org. The deadline is Thursday September 15.

Thanks!

Jill Redding
Editor-in-Chief, Zymurgy