Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buckboard Bacon  (Read 3106 times)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Buckboard Bacon
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:05:10 am »
I cured two Pork Loins last week and then gave them a light smoke last night. They turned out really good! Here are a few pics.

The two on the left got a healthy dose of coarse pepper:

Ready to take off:

All wrapped up:

Thanks for looking! Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Buckboard Bacon
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:42:59 am »
I've made that quite a bit meself!  Good use for a meat slicer...I then pack and freeze bags of the stuff.  Sure it may be packed with salt and nitrates, but at least I was the one to pack it with salt and nitrates!  :D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:50:49 am »
I've been making my bacon with no nitrates/nitrites.  I just use salt, sugar, and some other flavorings, smoke it to 150F, slice it, vac seal, and freeze it.  I picked up some pink salt though, for making some cured/dried meats.  I can't wait to do it :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:46:29 am »
This reminds me...I need to get some pork belly for making some bacon.

What temp did you smoke the loins?
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:55:26 am »
I hold it around 200-225F, it doesn't take that long because the belly is flat.  A couple of hours.

Take the skin off while it's hot, it's much easier than after it cools!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:57:45 am »

What temp did you smoke the loins?

I smoked the loins @ 225F until the hickory petered out, about 45 minutes. I used a couple small chunks. Just looking for a subtle smokiness.  Then 275F for the remainder. In total it took about 2.5 hours. The loins were pretty flat 'cause I had them stacked in a bowl (2 loin hunks per gallon ziplock bag = ~3.5 lbs.) and the weight from the bags above flattened them out pretty good.  They cured seven days in ziplock bags, a one day soak in fresh water to draw out some of the salt & then one day uncovered on a rack to dry and form a film/skin.  All of the above was done under refrigeration @ 34F. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!