Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison Ferment  (Read 5234 times)

Offline konrad

• 1st Kit
Saison Ferment
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:46:00 pm »
Question on Drew Beechum's statement in the saison article in the Sep/Oct 2011 issue...
"Conducting your primary ferment with a covering of sanitized foil keeps the pressure down and the yeast happier than... "
I've used foil during the first one or two days of a big beer ferment... mainly for easy access during additional shots of O2, but I've always switched to an airlock or BBBOT while the yeast is heavy into fermentation.  So my question is... how long is okay for a covering of only foil?  I would think foil during the entire primary fermentation risks the introduction of O2 and subsequent oxidation, once fermentation slows down (particularly with saison yeast and the inevitable stalls and 4-5 week ferments).
I happen to have a freshly brewed saison in its 28th hour of fermentation, covered only by foil over the neck of the carboy.  Just wondering how long I can go before switching over to an airlock.
Konrad

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Saison Ferment
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:46:24 am »
I have kept carboys covered by foil only for a month with no ill effects.

I also don't go disturbing them until it's time to rack
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline konrad

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:37:30 am »
Thank you, Drew.  I will give it a go then.
Konrad

Offline konrad

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 11:30:36 am »
Okay... 5 days into the ferment, and I've nudged it (naturally and assisted, in the last few days) from 64F -> 88F.  Now I'm wondering about the cool-down.  I plan to let it sit at this elevated temp for at least a couple more weeks, but when it's finally time to move forward, I'll need to cool it back down to my basement temp of around 70F.  I see three choices for topping off the carboy...
1.  air lock - but the cooling will probably suck the vodka right out of the airlock and into the carboy
2.  blowoff tube - but the cooling will probably suck the sanitizer out of the blowoff bucket and into the carboy (I've experienced this one before... almost)
3.  leave the foil over the neck - but I'm wondering about oxygen being sucked under the foil and into the carboy.

Anyone have any tips on how to deal with the vacuum created by the cooling?
Konrad

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 11:36:57 am »
Back to the lazy B approach, I don't worry about cooling it until I've gone into keg.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline konrad

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 05:17:49 pm »
Yet another reason to keg, I guess.
Konrad

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 05:45:03 pm »
I practice open fermentation and never have a problem with oxidation. There will still be a blanket of co2 even when the ferment cools. I'd have a saison in the bottle or keg in about two weeks if laziness doesn't take over. The transfer is the danger point.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis