Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Something to concider  (Read 5715 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Something to concider
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 07:49:30 am »
It has crossed my mind when I'm hooking up a new tank whether a leak could push all the air out of my basement.  I always test any new connections in hope of avoiding this type of issue.

I also drive a pickup and have one of those chrome tool boxes slung across the front of the box.  I put the CO2 tank in the tool box and brace it "stuff" to hold it in place.  I figure if it blows inside the tool box only the tool box will get hurt.

Something to think about though when you're traveling.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 08:07:23 am »
It has crossed my mind when I'm hooking up a new tank whether a leak could push all the air out of my basement.  I always test any new connections in hope of avoiding this type of issue.

I also drive a pickup and have one of those chrome tool boxes slung across the front of the box.  I put the CO2 tank in the tool box and brace it "stuff" to hold it in place.  I figure if it blows inside the tool box only the tool box will get hurt.

Something to think about though when you're traveling.

Paul

Yep, same when I refill propane tanks - keep them fastened in place in the bed of the truck outside
Joe

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 08:12:30 am »
Reminds me of when I worked with liquid nitrogen on a daily basis.  Didn't matter how many floors up you had to take it, or how heavy it was, you weren't allowed to take in into the elevator.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 06:22:59 pm »
Great.
I just had 300 lb bulk CO2 tank installed in my 1000 sq ft brewery.
Should I worry?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 08:40:46 am »
are there such things as co2 detectors? if so could one be rigged to s big a$$ vent fan to kick on immediatly if the concentrations get above a certain key level? I am thinking more of commercial situations where, as Thirsty Monk says he's got 300lbs of CO2 in his 1000sq ft space.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 08:59:50 am »
are there such things as co2 detectors? if so could one be rigged to s big a$$ vent fan to kick on immediatly if the concentrations get above a certain key level? I am thinking more of commercial situations where, as Thirsty Monk says he's got 300lbs of CO2 in his 1000sq ft space.

Thirsty Monk's best bet would be to contact a local HVAC (Heating and Air Company). They would know the local codes and be able to hook him up with a detection system and auto vent. It might cost a few dollars, but it would be much better than a dead Thirsty Monk!

That being said, there are theses: http://www.instrumart.com/products/18180/ge-telaire-ventostat-series-co2-monitor that he might be able to hood up himself if he is a DIY'er.
Tulsa, OK

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 01:50:16 pm »
Haven't been in a McDonalds or had a soda in 20 years.......

Combustible bottles travel in truck bed. After sticking my nose in fermentation freezer I know you can tell a high concentration of CO2 by the fact that your sinuses are burning off...... But, an explosive release in a small compartment could be "interesting". Not too worried about in the house. Same with the 1000 pounder. Low concentrations are not a problem, ..(we drink the stuff remember)  instantaneous release you don't need a detector..But, leaks are $$, so for that reason I would consider it.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....