Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hydromel semi-sweet mead  (Read 6011 times)

Offline dtblank

• Cellarman
hydromel semi-sweet mead
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:59:37 am »
I'm currently fermenting my 1st mead ever.  After one week my fermentation got stuck, so I racked to secondary and added more energizer and yeast nutrient.  I'm using wyeast sweat mead yeast.  Ever since racking it has been fermenting away.  It has been 2 months now and is still showing signs of fermentation.  What is the time table for a semi-sweet hydromel mead.  I was thinking that it should have been done by now. 

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
Re: hydromel semi-sweet mead
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:35:58 pm »
It will be done when it's done as long as it's not stuck.  That said, the mead's I have done have finished in 2-4 weeks with primary fermentation (though my temps may have been too high).

What was your OG, current FG, yeast pitched and nutrient schedule?

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 03:17:29 pm »
Check the attenuation percentages against the expected/desired and taste a sample. If you like the flavor, then its done. Add acid, preservatives (if desired) & bottle.  ;)   
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline dtblank

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 03:44:23 pm »
OG was 1.047  gravity when it was stuck was 1.034. I'm going to check the gravity again this weekend and see where it is at.  Look at it a minute ago and it has really started to clear up nicely and fermentation has really slowed down so, I think I will give it another week or 2 and bottle.  I've thought about making this a sparkling, but not sure about the amount of priming sugar to use for a mead.  Think I might just play it safe and just leave it as a still since its my first one. 

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 05:41:37 am »
What was your recipe?  That seems like a pretty low OG for a mead.

Offline dtblank

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 06:14:12 am »
It was around 3.75 lbs honey to 3 gallons water, plus nutrients and energizer.  It was just a table mead so the OG is supposed to be low from what i've read.

Offline dtblank

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 03:53:04 pm »
Checked gravity today it was down to .998.  Guess its going to be a dry mead.  Still fermenting, but super slow.  Probably drop temp on it down to 60 to clarify in the next week or so.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 06:30:29 am »
After it's done fermenting you can backsweeten it if you like.