Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sauerkraut  (Read 16180 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Sauerkraut
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 08:50:47 pm »
The true ratio of salt to cabbage is 3 Tbsp/ 5 lb of cabbage.  Make sure you use non-iodized salt, as that will inhibit the fermentation.  The optimum fermentation temp is 68-72 degrees, and it's recommended that you let it ferment for at least 10-12 weeks prior to eating.  I couldn't find the source of that info again, but here is an interesting chart that shows how the different bacterial strains operate in a kraut ferment:

Here is the source page for the above graphic.

Love it. We have a sauerkraut ron Pattinson.  This forum rocks

Offline 58limited

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 03:17:27 pm »
I don't see why a fermenting bucket with airlock wouldn't work. I've made sauerkraut several times. I'm fortunate that a college friend from Switzerland gave me a 20 liter crock to make it in. I use 20lbs cabbage blended with 2 1/2 ounces salt, 2 tsp caraway seed, and 2 tsp crushed juniper berries. When packed in the crock, it makes enough juice to cover the cabbage by 1 1/2 inches or so. Add 8 oz. cultured buttermilk on the top then cover with a large cabbage leaf or two. My crock has two half circle weight stones to hold everything down (I do heat these in the oven to sanitize before use). The lid sits in a groove that is filled with water, thereby forming the airlock. 

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 09:28:53 am »
We just packaged 5 lbs. of sauerkraut yesterday, and sliced up the last two garden cabbages to make another 5 lbs.  The first batch we let go for three weeks at around 70°F, and it seems plenty sour enough.

After last year's attempt in a bucket got all moldy and I threw it away, we decided to buy the right tool for the job:

http://www.canningsupply.com/product/fermentation-crock-3-gallon/act_frgt?p=GSHOPCS&x=GSHOPCS&gclid=CjwKEAjw5ZKiBRDhqa-Yjcml9kYSJABia-Rn13er1679jjyuYbhkxLXI_mnWCWKGueaYH_gqyo41dhoCsk3w_wcB

I made some slovakian goulash with it, and it was a hit at hunting camp this year.

If you do go the fermenting bucket route, here is some good advice I recently learned.  For a weight, use a few gallon ziploc bags filled with water.  The bags will conform better with the bucket, creating a better anaerobic seal.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 07:03:06 pm »
I would be cool with fermenting in a bucket, with a big plate as a follower to keep the cabbage under the liquid.  My wife is not down with plastic in ferments though, so we've used the 1-gallon glass jars.  I think one of the new big mouth bubblers would be perfect for a large batch, and the Ziplock bag full o' water method would work fine in that case. 

In my experience, there is a considerable volume gain when the ferment really gets going, so plan on leaving some head space in whatever container you use.  I'm thinking about fermenting a small batch in my classroom this year, up on my desk so students can watch the activity.  Then I'll gross them all out when I take a bite.    :o

The other day I told a girl that she was eating billions of living bacteria as she ate her yogurt.  She was so grossed out she threw it away!  Kids these days, sheesh...

Offline jwhancher

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 01:09:40 pm »
Just saw this thread and thought I would chime in.

I've done sauerkraut plenty of times before and use a food grade 2-gallon bucket with lid and airlock/bubbler. I live in PA and purchased my bucket from Keystone:

http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop/2-gallon-bucket-with-drilled-lid.html

It's cheap and works great.  Keeps the bugs & flies away in the warmer months too.

Cheers.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 07:19:35 am »
we decided to buy the right tool for the job:

http://www.canningsupply.com/product/fermentation-crock-3-gallon/act_frgt?p=GSHOPCS&x=GSHOPCS&gclid=CjwKEAjw5ZKiBRDhqa-Yjcml9kYSJABia-Rn13er1679jjyuYbhkxLXI_mnWCWKGueaYH_gqyo41dhoCsk3w_wcB

Hey chumley, just wondering how much cabbage you can put in that 3 gallon crock.  I am thinking that is plenty big?

Offline dazed

• 1st Kit
  • ®
How I make sauerkraut....and prevent the bird flu
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 01:09:07 pm »
Add 8 oz. cultured buttermilk on the top then cover with a large cabbage leaf or two.

I've never heard about using buttermilk.

I have been making sauerkraut for many years....I gave my friend a 6 gallon brew bucket with airlock, and he now makes it to...no problems....as stated just weigh it down somehow and cover with 1-2 inches of liquid above the cabbage and you will be fine. I Usually never have enough liquid so I will make up some Brine, with boiled and cooled H2O (15g Salt for 1L H2O). Make sure that no pieces of cabbage are above liquid, or stuck to side of vessel....I usually wipe insides down with clean paper towel so no bits above liquid. I also use several big cabbage leaves between weight and chopped cabbage (still under brine or liquid)

I Got a German Made Harsch 30L crock and the book says 5- 8 grams (15g max) of salt (non-iodized or Kosher) for every 1kg of cabbage. From what I've gathered... the the warmer the ferment temp the more salt you use to prevent spoilage. I typically make sauerkraut in cooler temps so I tend to use less, and prefer the taste of a less salty product.

The Harsch Booklet also says to start out fermentation in at room temp (68-71F) for 2-3 days (until fermentation starts), and then move to a cooler (59-65F) area for 4-6 weeks. After that store it between 41-59F. I usually test it at about 3-4 weeks because I like my kraut with a little more crisp in the bite texture...and I like the taste of it when its young....

I make about 5 gallons at a time to last through-out the year.
By by the time i get to the last of it, the kraut has softened and changed flavor since storing....but still good.

I have also frozen some to see how it would turn out when thawed after couple months...I didn't find any noticeable difference in the product....BYMMV.

Remember Fresh Sauerkraut (not canned or cooked) sauerkraut has all those good GUT BUGS in it that yogurt does....and those BUGS are supposed to be good for you ....even prevent the Bird Flu (Avian Flu) ...google it!
but again YMMV....
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:19:16 pm by dazed »
Lifetime Member

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 05:47:22 pm »
so i have to ask-does the whole house stink like hot cabbage or what?  love eating it but not sure id make it. id probably end up with something less than good and might even get sick ;D

very cool though
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 09:10:46 pm »

so i have to ask-does the whole house stink like hot cabbage or what?  love eating it but not sure id make it. id probably end up with something less than good and might even get sick ;D

very cool though
Never know until you try.
Just do it.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 07:20:25 am »

very cool though
I only made it once and it was a smaller batch on my countertop, but there was no smell and it was delicious. I made it for a homebrew club meeting at my house, so I used one head of cabbage about two weeks ahead and it was all eaten that night.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dazed

• 1st Kit
  • ®
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 12:46:11 pm »

Doesn't smell anymore than beer fermenting unless your doing 50 gallons or more. If your just using regular cabbage (not colored), if any issues arise...you would know. My friend is way less sanitary than I am....and its working for him....If you can make beer...kraut is no harder....in fact, way easier!

I would be more afraid of eating out and getting sick than eating my kraut...or yours...
Lifetime Member

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 12:51:52 pm »
good to know-thanks.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 12:53:23 pm »

Doesn't smell anymore than beer fermenting unless your doing 50 gallons or more. If your just using regular cabbage (not colored), if any issues arise...you would know. My friend is way less sanitary than I am....and its working for him....If you can make beer...kraut is no harder....in fact, way easier!

I would be more afraid of eating out and getting sick than eating my kraut...or yours...

oh, and beer fermenting smells? -blasphemy  ;D
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 07:32:14 am »
Thanks for the informative post dazed.  I am getting excited to try it; crock is in the mail.  8)

To store it do you have to pressure can it to seal the top?

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 07:36:47 am »
so what's the recipe for kraut? just adding water and pickling salt or what?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: