Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick Question: Blichmann Ball Valve NPT  (Read 5189 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Quick Question: Blichmann Ball Valve NPT
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:16:20 am »
I am fixing to upgrade my kettle to all stainless Tri-Clamp fittings - like these here: http://breweryparts.com/index.php/fittings-and-valves/fittings-amp-valves-tri-clamp-174/adaptor-npt-to-tri-clamp-174.html. I am not "with" my kettle/fermenter right now and wanted to order these today. Are the Blichmann ball valve thread sizes 1/2" or 3/4"? Anyone know for sure before I spend $500 dollars on fitting?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Quick Question: Blichmann Ball Valve NPT
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 08:55:12 am »
FWIW, the accessory valves listed on their website are 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:56:52 am »
Thanks Denny - weird, I looked at their website and could not find that info.  :-\ It mush be 1/2" then.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 09:05:11 am »
Doh! How didd I miss that ... "Valves". First menu item!.  ::)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:08:04 am »
Doh! How didd I miss that ... "Valves". First menu item!.  ::)

I'd wager it had to do with beer being involved!   :D

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:45:50 am »
I wish I could use that excuse. I was only drinking coffee.

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 02:14:35 am »
why not use cam lock fittings instead of tri clamp.  www.proflowdynamics.com has some great prices on 1/2 316 ss cam and groove couplers of all styles that works better than tri clamps in my opinion
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 11:31:50 pm »
316 ss cam and groove couplers of all styles that works better than tri clamps in my opinion

What makes you say that?

I've always thought of triclamps as the standard for sanitary fittings and they're pretty simple to use. Why do you like cam and groove fittings better?
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 12:20:08 am »
They look easier to use with no loose parts. Is this the reason?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 06:18:35 am »
why not use cam lock fittings instead of tri clamp.  www.proflowdynamics.com has some great prices on 1/2 316 ss cam and groove couplers of all styles that works better than tri clamps in my opinion

Man, had I seen those 6 months ago I probably would have gotten them instead of the polysulfone QDCs, and then I may not have bought the Tri Clamps. Oh well, I just got them yesterday and they are pretty freakin' awesome. Might have to get some of these other ones as well, love the price!

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 02:47:26 pm »
So it looks like you ended up purchasing the tri-clamps Major...where did you end up finding the best prices?  I just received my Blichmann kettles and want upgrade to tri-clamp fittings as I am most comfortable with them.  At which valves did you upgrade your system to triclamp fittings?  Im thinking about doing it for everything, but that can get a little pricey @ $20 per male fitting...

Your suggestions are appreciated!

Bobby
mmmm....beer

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 09:45:16 am »
They are much more affordable here:  http://www.brewershardware.com/1.5-Tri-Clover-X-1-2-Male-NPT.html  and excellent quality.
Brew on

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 02:29:14 am »
Well I'm glad Rich at IHBHS has taken over posting on here.  The Cam Lock couplers that I introduced to IHBHS from proflowdynamics are indeed much easier to operate than tri clamps.  instead of having to deal with 4 seperate pieces (each side of the fitting, clamp and gasket) which takes two hands to put together and is not easy to do in a rush situation, like switching a hose full of hot wort from one tank to another, can actually be accomplished one handed.  The Cams provide a tight secure connection that is leak free and just as sanitary as a tri clamp fitting.  Prices range from $3.72 to $5.99 depending on which type you need sure beats the $12.00 for a tri clamp that doesn't include a clamp or gasket.  The food grade gasket housed inside the socket section is easily removable for cleaning and sanitation and can be ordered separately between $0.12 and $0.39 a pop (depending on if you want the standard buna n or silcon gasket).   Check em out. http://store.proflowdynamics.com/modules/store/-Couplings-for-Homebrewers-_C12074.cfm
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:30:56 am by Gribble »
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals