Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Probably infected  (Read 8526 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Probably infected
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 04:48:40 pm »
Yes...rod like is a better descriptive. In any event they are not preferred in beer. Keeping tabs on your sanitation will prevent these little guys from rearing their ugly heads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteria#Etymology
Etymology
The word bacteria is the plural of the New Latin bacterium, which is the latinisation of the Greek βακτήριον (baktērion),[10] the diminutive of βακτηρία (baktēria), meaning "staff, cane",[11] because the first ones to be discovered were rod-shaped.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 06:25:36 pm »
FWIW aluminum foil, plastic bags, paper towels are sanitary from the roll/box.

I don't chance it. Sanitizing is EASY. It's BEER for gosh sakes!  ;D  Closing in on 400 batches in 12 yrs. with one contamination(batch #2).

ETA; I posted awhile back on how I thought I had a bad batch. It turned out fine, just didn't taste worth a s**t green...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:33:44 pm by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 03:30:49 am »
Oh no, this is definitely infected. Both of them, I think.

Really bad

Closeup of the top of the betterbottle of the bad one...

The other fermenter, less milky but still there.

Dahmn. This is my first infected batch ever. I wonder if I got a bad yeast slant from White Labs? Ferment was pretty durn slow and when I tried some of the 'beer' on top of the slant (perhaps you're not supposed to do that?) it tasted FOUL. I assumed it was yeast nutrients and other things, but I think that should have been a warning sign.

What's the best way to make sure this doesn't happen again? Dump, soak in bleach then soak in pbw then star san? I think it might be time to autocalve my Erlenmeyer as well...
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 04:15:28 am »
I hope you are not declaring it infected just from what you can see.  What I see in the pictures indicates a vigorous fermentation, that's all.  Have you tasted it yet?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 04:36:03 am »
I hope you are not declaring it infected just from what you can see.  What I see in the pictures indicates a vigorous fermentation, that's all.  Have you tasted it yet?

Not yet... But I'm concerned at 'vigorous fermentation' because the OG on this one was 1035.
----

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 05:07:12 am »

Not yet... But I'm concerned at 'vigorous fermentation' because the OG on this one was 1035.
That's what I would normally expect with low gravity and a lot of yeast - a very strong and fast ferment.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 05:53:11 am »
FWIW aluminum foil, plastic bags, paper towels are sanitary from the roll/box.

I don't chance it. Sanitizing is EASY. It's BEER for gosh sakes!  ;D  Closing in on 400 batches in 12 yrs. with one contamination(batch #2).

ETA; I posted awhile back on how I thought I had a bad batch. It turned out fine, just didn't taste worth a s**t green...

I usually dump my paper towels in sanitizer, foil I do occasionally but don't sweat it if the foil is not dipped in sanitizer. For instance, if I am sanitizing a container to harvest yeast froma  fermenter I dunk the container and foil in sanitizer. But if I am just covering a bottom dump valve to keep it sanitary I just grab foil off the roll and cover it up. Paper towels I usually dunk but in a hurry I have been known to pull one off and use it as a sanitary surface. Convenience sometimes outweighs paranoia.  ;)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 07:44:36 am »
If you have ever seen a plant where they blow film for bags or roll out aluminum, you'd realize that it's anything but sanitary. I always sanitize anything that comes in contact with my beer, even is it's right off the roll.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 09:25:21 am »
I usually dump my paper towels in sanitizer, foil I do occasionally but don't sweat it if the foil is not dipped in sanitizer. For instance, if I am sanitizing a container to harvest yeast froma  fermenter I dunk the container and foil in sanitizer. But if I am just covering a bottom dump valve to keep it sanitary I just grab foil off the roll and cover it up. Paper towels I usually dunk but in a hurry I have been known to pull one off and use it as a sanitary surface. Convenience sometimes outweighs paranoia.  ;)

Agreed.  I use paper towels, plastic wrap and foil right off the roll without sanitizing.  Never had a problem related to it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 01:00:34 pm »
Oh no, this is definitely infected. Both of them, I think.

Really bad

Closeup of the top of the betterbottle of the bad one...

The other fermenter, less milky but still there.

Dahmn. This is my first infected batch ever. I wonder if I got a bad yeast slant from White Labs? Ferment was pretty durn slow and when I tried some of the 'beer' on top of the slant (perhaps you're not supposed to do that?) it tasted FOUL. I assumed it was yeast nutrients and other things, but I think that should have been a warning sign.

What's the best way to make sure this doesn't happen again? Dump, soak in bleach then soak in pbw then star san? I think it might be time to autocalve my Erlenmeyer as well...

I really don't see anything abnornal, there.
Maybe it's the resolution, but it's just looking like a very active fermentation, to me.
If you smell strong vinegar, then I'd suggest being worried.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:02:47 pm by Kit B »

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 03:07:48 pm »
What yeast were you using and what were the temps of each fermenter?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 08:36:43 am »
What yeast were you using and what were the temps of each fermenter?

White Labs WLP023 (Burton), 21 C/70 F
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 08:37:21 am »
The thing about the 'bad' one is that I've never seen krausen or whatever it is that thick and sticky before. That and the fact that the two beers are filled from the same batch with the same yeast.
----

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 09:02:59 am »
The thing about the 'bad' one is that I've never seen krausen or whatever it is that thick and sticky before. That and the fact that the two beers are filled from the same batch with the same yeast.
Mine look like that all the time.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 09:09:26 am »
I don't know about infected. It's hard to tell based on pictures, but it looks like it could be normal krausen, just lots of it. Keep in mind that the liquid stored in the yeast vial, just like the "beer" made in a starter, is generally not going to smell or taste very good. Have you pulled any samples for tasting yet?
Mark Gres