Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Newer style Passion fruit hops (e.g. citra, galaxy) vs. Old style Citrus (e.g. Cascade, Centennial)

passion fruit IPA
grapefruit IPA
Neither; give me a resin/herbal/spicy/smoky/etc. IPA
all of the above

Author Topic: IPA hop preference  (Read 4031 times)

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Re: IPA hop preference
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 11:14:49 am »
Mmmmmmm, grapefruit!  I am over in England (Air Force) and was adopted by my local brew pub.  We got the green light to bring out our one APA that hasn't been done in a couple of years.  It happens on Friday and we are making around 7 barrels worth of it.  Here's to spreading the taste of an APA to the locals.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 11:57:25 am »
however, If out of every three IPA purchases/choices I make 1 is passion fruit, one grapefruit and one 'other' than there is no most often. Thus it is difficult to choose one.

yeah I know who you are - you're the guy in the wendy's drive thru lane saying, hmm should I have the number 1 because...or maybe the number 3, I like...oh, but number 5 is good too...  ;)

(maybe I am in a combative mood today)  :)

I can honestly say I have NEVER been the guy in the wendy's drive thru at any time. but yes I do tend to stand before the beer cooler at the grocery for 10 or 15 minutes, walking back and forth, picking up a bottle then putting it back picking another one...

Ooooh I can get surly sometimes. ;) Usually I have an idea of what I want (IPA) but also wander back and forth looking at the other beers, getting out of people's way who are doing the same thing... I've been getting a good deal on the Latitude 48 ($6.99) so when I can't decide the price is the determining factor. Damn that Lat 48 is goood.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 02:33:58 pm »
Usually I like the grapefruit flavor (Amarillo), but lately I have been liking the passion fruit, mango flavor.
Dan Chisholm

jaybeerman

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 03:40:34 pm »
we are making around 7 barrels worth of it.  Here's to spreading the taste of an APA to the locals.

7 bbl is a great batch size, have fun.  Yep, drink plenty of theirs too.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 11:23:04 pm »
I don't see an answer for "all of the above"...I like variety.

+1 on this. I will say I prefer lots of late hops to tons of bitterness in an IPA

This!  I love hop flavor and aroma.  I don't mind bitterness, but an excessive amount of hop-derived grassy vegetal flavor/astringency is a turn-off.  I really enjoy the results I've been getting with the late wort hopping method.

jaybeerman

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 10:14:37 pm »
Well I'm not sure if the 32 of us represent...anything.  But, I'm a little surprised at the overwhelming dominance of the grapefruit IPA.  I guess I’d say happily so, my vote went to the grapefruit IPA, but I really thought there’d be more votes for the new passion fruit IPA’s.  Makes me wonder what the national numbers are.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 11:13:13 pm »
Passion fruit with a good dose of dank to keep it real, hmm....smokey. Just saying.

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 08:25:17 am »
I find that I like all of the above.  For me though what is most important is that the malt bill is a delivery system for the hop aroma and flavor (i.e. very simple) and highly attenuated with bitterness on the low side for the style.  I really subscribe to the Roger Davis (Tripple Rock) way of thinking.  Once the base is set, the hop varieties don't matter - I like them all and love changing it up.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 02:23:47 pm »
Always used some combination of, or strictly Cascade and Centennial for my American IPAs.  Just introduced Chinook as bittering to make a 3-C's IPA which is about ready to be tapped.  Can't wait!
Dave Zach

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 03:28:06 pm »
I've been liking the the passion fruit/Citra hops a lot lately myself.  But variety is the spice hops of life.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 03:50:30 pm »
I've been liking the the passion fruit/Citra hops a lot lately myself.  But variety is the spice hops of life.

+1

If I had my choice of hops...it would be "all of the above".

I just love hops in general.  :)
Ron Price

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 04:46:24 pm »
As an IPA freak, I love 'em all. Latest crush: Galaxy. Yummy tropical fruity and citrusy goodness...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member