Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to store beer  (Read 2429 times)

Offline nicomiranda

• 1st Kit
How to store beer
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:11:03 am »
whats up guys,

i had a quick question about storing beer.  i am going to be moving pretty soon and will have to get rid of my beer fridge.  so i need to know if there is a way to store beer that was once refrigerated.  i will need to store these in a storage room.  is there any correct way to do this without the pesky dangers of my gorgeous beers (ex. my dogfish 120 ipa) going bad.  any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  thank you in advance.

Nico Miranda
californiacastaway.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: How to store beer
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:42:28 am »
Keep them as cold as you can.  Storing them on a concrete slab keeps them cooler in a warm room than if they are on a shelf.  That's pretty much it, warmer beers oxidize and age faster than colder beers, so the more you can do to mitigate that the better.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:50:01 am »
As Tom has indicated colder is better. I like to refrigerate most of beer. A cellar is also a good second choice. The floor will be coldest and 55F or colder is ideal.
Ron Price

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:40:56 am »
By "storage room" do you mean one of those commercial "U-Store-It" places? 
If so, try to find a climate-controlled one (i.e., air-conditioned) and pick a ground floor (or basement, if there is such a thing in your area)  and internal room if possible.

Offline RobertColianni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 06:48:35 pm »
Stop storing beer cold and store it in a slightly below room temperature, dry place, like a basement shelf or room conditioned to 67 degrees. Do you refrigerate the beer you make? I don't. I store it in my air conditioned attic in boxes until I want to drink it.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 06:56:17 pm »
Storing beer cool as opposed to room temp will prolong the life of the beer. I recommend storing beer at cellar temps (<55F) in an effort to mitigate the staling effects (oxidation process). It's one of the best things you can do for your beer. The warmer the beer the faster the oxidation process.

If you have no way of storing your beer cool or cold then drink it fast.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »
Stop storing beer cold and store it in a slightly below room temperature, dry place, like a basement shelf or room conditioned to 67 degrees. Do you refrigerate the beer you make? I don't. I store it in my air conditioned attic in boxes until I want to drink it.

Hmmm....
I am happy this works for you but as others mentioned keeping beer cold will prolong the beer life.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 11:57:35 pm »
+1 on the climate controlled storage. Moving and losing the fridge? What about when you get there? More info please? If it is for a short period I wouldn't worry about it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis