Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 9/16 Edition  (Read 7968 times)

Offline pweis909

• Cellarman
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 9/16 Edition
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 06:47:47 pm »
The oatmeal porter and the bitter that I mentioned last week got put off until tonight because of a delayed shipment. The porter is boiling now, and I'll stay up late to knock out the bitter.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 09:17:04 pm »
Bottled up the 2011 Burial Chair tonight, my second annual Wee Heavy that I brewed in April.  OG 1.126, FG 1.033.  Tasted delicious.  Should be ready to enjoy just in time for Christmas.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline brontotex

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2011, 06:27:37 am »
Lampshade Porter, today.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:33:11 am by brontotex »

Offline dolecek21

• Cellarman
  • Denver, Co
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2011, 11:42:11 am »
Brewing a fresh hopped AIPA with homegrown hops!!

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 11:54:21 am »
Today drinking, countdown one hour and 6 minutes, a sour elderflower saison and an all Citra IPA that we made for a friend's house warming party.

Tomorrow, since it's getting cooler here in VT, Oatmeal Stout that I may split when bottling and add coffee the way that Mikkeller does for their beer geek breakfast in last month's BYO.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 02:10:57 pm »
Was going to do a saison and a stout but the Mrs. didn't want me to brew today so just tomorrow.  Now we just got an invite to a halloween party so I think I'll change it and take a shot at 10 gals of Pumpkin Ale to take to the party. 

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 05:13:16 pm »
Was going to brew a Smoked Porter for our club's winter warmer competition, but I ended up spending the day on the community orchard pressing apples with the exciting new hydro-press. I came home with enough juice to keep me in cider for the next year, and there'll be yet more to come.

Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 06:00:45 pm »
Was going to brew a Smoked Porter for our club's winter warmer competition, but I ended up spending the day on the community orchard pressing apples with the exciting new hydro-press. I came home with enough juice to keep me in cider for the next year, and there'll be yet more to come.

That's seems like a day well spent.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2011, 06:46:56 am »
I brewed a simple Southern brown ale yesterday, pitched my Bedford platinum strain starter this morning.

Cider sounds good, I'm going to call the local orchard and see what they have.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2011, 08:19:44 am »
I brewed a simple Southern brown ale yesterday, pitched my Bedford platinum strain starter this morning.

Lennie, you might want to wait a while.  Here in Michigan the best juice for making hard cider is had after we have a frost(s) to set the sugar in the apples.  That is what the orchard people say. 

Our club will do an activity with a local orchard.  Maybe 4 pressings this year.  The day has not been set, but it will be the last weekend of Oct. or the first in Nov.

We will also pick up some juice from the famous Hill Brothers Orchard near Grand Rapids.  That will not be available until after Nov 1.

Might be later in your area.  Talk to the orchard owners.  See if they have any knowledge on cider and the blends of apples that they can do.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2011, 08:49:08 am »

Lennie, you might want to wait a while.  Here in Michigan the best juice for making hard cider is had after we have a frost(s) to set the sugar in the apples.  That is what the orchard people say. 

Our club will do an activity with a local orchard.  Maybe 4 pressings this year.  The day has not been set, but it will be the last weekend of Oct. or the first in Nov.

We will also pick up some juice from the famous Hill Brothers Orchard near Grand Rapids.  That will not be available until after Nov 1.

Might be later in your area.  Talk to the orchard owners.  See if they have any knowledge on cider and the blends of apples that they can do.

Thanks for the info, I'll contact the orchard and see when their best stuff will be available.  I kind of thought it was more of a late-October activity here too, but a friend of mine was pressing some apples this weekend so it got me thinking about cider.  I have a crusher and press so I could always make my own but laziness and the possibility of getting juice with some interesting varieties has me wanting to look.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline protonchris

• 1st Kit
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2011, 08:50:23 am »
Kegged my English mild (with an OG that was a little too high) and installed two taps into the door of my beer fridge. 

Next weekend I will be brewing a dunkelweizen.  I am going to try the recipe in Brewing Classic Styles.
On Deck: Helles
Fermenting:
Lagering: 
On Tap: Cream Ale, Brown Ale

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2011, 03:13:50 pm »
The oatmeal porter and the bitter that I mentioned last week got put off until tonight because of a delayed shipment. The porter is boiling now, and I'll stay up late to knock out the bitter.

Hey Peter, I was thinking of brewing an oatmeal porter, and was wondering if you could post your recipe in the recipe exchange.
Kyle M.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2011, 10:26:09 am »
Yesterday was bottling day.  I bottled three batches of beer (3gal batches), one wine kit, and racked and fined an ale that wasn't clearing properly.  I think I used 100gal of water cleaning up after all this activity.  I did free up four carboys though.

Now I'm down to three batches of beer fermenting, the basement looks a little bare!  But the bottled beer area is super-full.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO