Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewer's Gloves?  (Read 14280 times)

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
Brewer's Gloves?
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:11:01 am »
Do any of you guys use brewer's gloves? I was thinking of looking for some that are maybe both water and heat resistant, do they exist? Do you have any favorite brands? Any info would be helpful!

Thanks!
TonyP
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewer's Gloves?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:22:51 am »
I've thought about getting some welder's gloves, but when I anal.yzed why I needed that i couldn't really justify the cost over the old, used pot holders I've got.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:53 am »
I got a pair of Blichmann Brewing Gloves, http://blichmannengineering.com/Brewing_Gloves/Brewing_Gloves.html, last year for Christmas. They're nice. I use them mostly when I'm cleaning, since I usually have 150+F water to mix the cleaning chemicals in. Are they necessary? No, I went years without them, but they're nice to have around now.
Mark Gres

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:47:40 am »
I only use gloves when I'm lifting hot pots and such and for that, I just use my woodstove gloves (obviously not water resistant but I don't need that).
Joe

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 11:30:23 am »
I've been using a pair of silicone(?) BBQ gloves. I bought them so I could squeeze out my hop strainer after the boil but I also use them when switching hot hoses and hot lids.  They work really well but I dont touch anything too hot (ie. burners) they will melt.  They are made for pulling hot chicken, pork, etc. so they are made to be used with food. I think I paid $12 at Academy.
-J.K.L.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 01:12:39 pm »
Blichmans are nice, but are not that well insulated.  I have a pair.

I also have some yellow lined rubber gloves that are insulated, but only go past the wrist a little bit.

If only the Blichmans were as well insulated, they would be perfect.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 02:02:10 pm »
I have a lovely pair of oven mitts that work great for more pots of scalding hot water around.  They came with the apron my kids gave me for Father's Day one year. :D  By no means waterproof but they handle the heat well.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 02:16:49 pm »
Just the typical cleaning gloves with a very thin layer of cloth on the inside for at least a little bit of insulation.
Brew on

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 02:39:34 pm »
what JKL said... those are AWESOME!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline rep

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 03:16:30 pm »
I use a work glove I bought at a Home Depot type store.  Leather on the palms, net/webbing on the backs.  I began using them mainly for grasping hot kettles, as well as general safety around my brewery.

They work great.
Wear Wool, Sit on Leather, Ride Lugged Steel

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 04:48:40 pm »
http://www.homedepot.com/Cleaning/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbqsi/R-202192535/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

$6 gloves that work great for rinsing and handling bottles in cleaning/sanitizing solutions (e.g., One Step or StarSan)--the exterior of my gloves are easily sanitized and it saves the wear and tear on my hands. 

It also protected my hands from the hot mash (152 F) when my Bazooka Braid fell off last weekend and I had to "go fishin' for it" and get it reattached to the spigot in the 82 qt (20.5 gal) rectangular cooler I use. 

They are thicker/lined gloves that are fluid impermeable--Love 'em and they nearly go up to my elbow, though not quite as long as the Blichman gloves seem to be.  Even though the Blichmann glove seems to be longer and thinner, I'd still prefer the thicker (HD) glove for anything having to do with heat (e.g., grabbing pots or dealing with hot water or mashes).

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 07:57:15 pm »
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I have to run to Home Depot tomorrow for something else so i'll check those out while i'm there.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 08:10:21 pm »
I got a pair of Blichmann Brewing Gloves, http://blichmannengineering.com/Brewing_Gloves/Brewing_Gloves.html, last year for Christmas. They're nice. I use them mostly when I'm cleaning, since I usually have 150+F water to mix the cleaning chemicals in. Are they necessary? No, I went years without them, but they're nice to have around now.
I use these gloves.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

jaybeerman

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 09:59:35 pm »
what JKL said... those are AWESOME!

do they get the pinhole leaks like a lot of gloves get from use in brewing (cleaning/sanitizing) chemicals?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 11:22:37 pm »
I like the idea of the silicon BBQ glove so might get one for that purpose. Currently I use surgical towels to protect my hands when lifting a hot lid. Plus, they can go on the floor to catch any spills. I haven't bought a paper towel in 5 years. But I don't need gloves for brewing. :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis