Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Forward to the Past  (Read 6431 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Forward to the Past
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 12:57:13 am »
Hell Fire! I might even become paraniod about sanitizing.

Fermenting for a different finished product (one we're not allowed to discuss here) has taught me much about that.  I get a lot of amusement from all of the detailed paranoid things people do to sanitize.  They'd be paranoid brewing in an OR.   :D

I've wondered about that. Sour mash. ;D A bit of starsan at key points and everything is cool when it comes to the homebrewing. Sanitization is nothing to get too fanatical about- the only thing that makes me paranoid is iodophor.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 01:17:02 am »
I use iodophor to sanitize stainless.  Otherwise I use bleach. 

My "brewery" water is rainwater that has been filtered and disinfected with ultraviolet light.  I use one of these to supply disinfected water to the whole building:

Trojan UV Max
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 02:07:27 am »

My "brewery" water is rainwater that has been filtered and disinfected with ultraviolet light.  I use one of these to supply disinfected water to the whole building:

Trojan UV Max

If I'm trying to do a CIP system can I use iodophor, or would that screw up the high-heat silicone tubing?

Also Puna, do you have a schematic/diagram for that whole-house system? Do you think it would be possible to use as a supplement to city water?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 08:35:44 am »

Trojan UV Max

If I'm trying to do a CIP system can I use iodophor, or would that screw up the high-heat silicone tubing?

Also Puna, do you have a schematic/diagram for that whole-house system? Do you think it would be possible to use as a supplement to city water?

I use idophor and it doesn't seem to affect the silicone at all. Always turns vinyl all yellow but the silicone is fine as far as I know.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 12:39:27 pm »

Trojan UV Max

Yes it is very possible to supplliment your water supply with rainwater.  google rainwater harvesting.

A description:
Rainwater is collected on my roof and directed to a 20,000 gal storage tank via gutters and 4” PVC.
Water is drawn from the tank by a 3/4 hp pump connected to a 40 gal bladder-type pressure tank.
Pump on at 40 psi – off at 60 psi.
The water is pushed through two standard 2.5” x 9” filters in series.  The upstream filter is 30 microns in porosity, the downstream is 5 microns.
The water exits the filters and enters the UV disinfection system.
The water exits the UV system and enters the household plumbing.
At the sinks where water is drawn for consumption I have under-counter 2.5” x 9” GAC filters at 1 micron porosity. 
The water leaves these filters, passes through small 8” UV systems and is delivered to the sink via a “gooseneck” faucet.

UV disinfection is highly effective.  However the water needs to be very low in turbidity.  Turbidity is caused by suspended solids.  Suspended solids provide a possible place for bacteria and viruses to hide out from the UV light.

The 5 micron filter serves two functions: removal of turbidity, and removal of oocysts  from disease causing cystic protozoa  like giardia and cryptosporidium.  The oocysts are UV resistant, but large enough to be easily filtered out.

The GAC filter for water to be consumed gets rid of any flavors or aromas.

Having safe, chlorine-free, disinfected water coming from every tap in the house is really nice.  I know when I rinse after disinfecting my brewing equipment that the water is not re-contaminating the equipment.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907