Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oatmeal Porter-Critique Please  (Read 5375 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Oatmeal Porter-Critique Please
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 01:35:34 pm »
Just to clarify, this is a 2.5 gallon batch. Sorry if it looked weird.

Regardless, I am loving the opinions here. The reason I was thinking some D-180 or D-90 would be good is because I was thinking the dark fruits, baker's chocolate, light coffee notes would go well in a porter. However, I was a little worried that it might dry out a beer like this where I was thinking of adding oats, or that it just sounded out of place in a porter.

The thing to take away from this thread is there are no hard and fast rules. IME dark candi syrup always reminds me of the raisin like character you get in Dubbels. Same with special B. Using it doesn't make it wrong, and if you sub it out for malt it will ferment drier - and the roast character of a porter may actually mask that character somewhat so I may be completely wrong (but not ridiculous  ;) ). My personal preference for a Porter is stated above, all malt. Doesn't mean it can't be brewed another way but if my opinion is asked on a public forum I can only give it, not someone else's.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 01:38:34 pm »
Dude, your opinion may not be ridiculous, but that pic of you in the shorts..... :D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 02:24:09 pm »
I've seen some Porter recipes that use treacle syrup. It may be hard to come by but worth a try if you can get it. It will lend some dark fruit flavor to the beer.

I frequently add 1lb of black treacle to my porter at the end of the boil.  Add a nice residual sweetness / smoky characteristic.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 02:27:10 pm »
Dude, your opinion may not be ridiculous, but that pic of you in the shorts..... :D

Hey, just be thankful I had shorts on.  ;)

jaybeerman

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 02:28:14 pm »
The thing to take away from this thread is there are no hard and fast rules. IME dark candi syrup always special B reminds me of the raisin like character you get in Dubbels. Same with . Using it doesn't make it wrong, and if you sub it out for malt it will ferment drier - and the roast character of a porter may actually mask that character somewhat so I may be completely wrong (but not ridiculous  ;) ). My personal preference for a Porter is stated above, all malt. Doesn't mean it can't be brewed another way but if my opinion is asked on a public forum I can only give it, not someone else's.

I thought 10% additions were barely perceptible using the dark candi "D" syrup; maybe just a touch of vanilla and the rest I couldn't tell apart from yeast character.  The overall character was nice.  I did compensate for the sugar with dark munich (7%).  Porters are fine a bit drier anyway, just medium to med-high body according to the specs.  Mash temp can always be adjusted too.

Ok fine, I'll take back the ridiculous comment; as long as we're not squashing "experimentation and imagination."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 03:28:38 pm »
Hey, just be thankful I had shorts on.  ;)

So much THIS^^^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell