Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Correctly reading ph test strips  (Read 14146 times)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Correctly reading ph test strips
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 08:15:09 pm »
If I get lucky my mash with colorpHast at room temp reads 5.3.
Normally it reads 5.0

So, if I understand all this discussion, the strip reading 5.3 at room temp (means 5.0 at mash temp) is lower than you would want.  Have you ever experimented with adding chalk or baking soda (both of which I think would raise the ph) to get your reading into the 5.4 to 5.6 range at room temp?
Joe

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 08:19:01 pm »
Normally it reads 5.0

So, if I understand all this discussion, the strip reading 5.3 at room temp (means 5.0 at mash temp) is lower than you would want.  Have you ever experimented with adding chalk or baking soda (both of which I think would raise the ph) to get your reading into the 5.4 to 5.6 range at room temp?

nope - what's being said is that the strips read the same at room and mash temp (no difference) and read 0.3 low, so the 5.3 likely is 5.6.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 08:23:30 pm »
I'm going to take my cheap Milwaukee ph600 for a test run this weekend on a stout.  I think I'll make some light mineral additions to the mash right off the bat, 2g CaCl and 2g chalk, based on my home water profile and then see what the pH looks like.  I'll just shoot for the 5.5 room temperature reading and see where I end up.  If I need to raise the pH more I'm going to add equal proportions of both the salts in 2g increments until I get there.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 08:30:40 pm »
Nope - what's being said is that the strips read the same at room and mash temp (no difference) and read 0.3 low, so the 5.3 likely is 5.6.

Dang, forgot the 0.3 low.  How's this?  The reading on the test strip, whether tested at room temp or mash temp, will correspond to the "mash temp ph" which should be targeted to be between 5.1 and 5.4.

Then his 5.3 is a good reading.
Joe

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 08:51:13 pm »
Normally it reads 5.0

Yes I am playing with salts.
I think I get good conversion (about 80% brewhouse eff).
I am still little bit confused what all that means.
I have been measuring pH for about of 1/2 year.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com