Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does anyone use Growlers to bottle with?  (Read 3755 times)

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Does anyone use Growlers to bottle with?
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:39:48 am »
I am looking to use larger vessels for bottling and was wondering if anyone uses growlers?
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline jiggs26.2

• Cellarman
  • Black Hills, South Dakota
Re: Does anyone use Growlers to bottle with?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:43:55 am »
I use 1 and 2 liter to bottle with and just leave a little more head space(not much) if using a bottle filler and all mine come out good. 
AHA Lifetime Member

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottle/Keg: Holiday Chocolate Stout, Nelson Sauvin IPA, Brew Dog Punk IPA Clone, Apricot Pale Ale, Wizenbock

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:48:34 am »
Just remember the larger the (glass) bottle the higher the risk of it rupturing under pressure.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 02:30:00 pm »
IIRC, growlers can hold the pressure of already carbed beer for a short while. but don't try to bottle condition in them or they explode.  There's a thread about that somewhere here (or another forum) with some significant glass shrapnel stuck in walls...

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:28:04 pm »
I tried this many times when I started. It worked great about 95% of the time, but the other 5% was not fun at all.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:58:22 pm »
We did talk about this before here: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3290.0
It depends on what you mean by "growler" the big, heavy swing-top bottles or the 1/2 gallon screw-cap ones.  Carbonating in the latter could be risky assuming the variables of residual sugar and overcarbonation.  They look a little weak to me for something as unpredictable as homebrew.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:49:18 pm »
I use any size bottle, small or big to bottle condition...I just add sugar according to the volume of the bottle, it works great. Some times I'll bottle the whole 5 gallon batch into all 2 litter growlers. It usually takes about 9- 2 litter growlers to bottle all 5 gallons.. I have about 35-2 litter swing top growlers and about 40 1-liter growlers.. I like to age beer in these bulky bottles. I bought mine here when they were about nine dollars a bottle. http://www.breworganic.com/2literswingtopgrowlerwithhandlecaseof6.aspx...

I've never encountered a problem using swing top 2L growlers.  I've aged high gravity beers for years in these growlers, and as one would expect from any good bottle, I've only experienced great bottling results using these growlers.  By mistake, a couple times, I did over carbonate some batches, and when that has happened in the past the swing top growlers did not explode like regular capped bottles, instead the gas leaks through the rubber seal.  I guess you can look at it as a safety release valve, idk.

By mistake, an over carbonated brew.  I opened the cap, released some pressure, let it age for a year or so, drank it, and all was good. I don't do that often.  
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:08:39 pm by pyrite »
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.