Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FreshBlend Co2  (Read 3025 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
FreshBlend Co2
« on: September 22, 2011, 07:17:57 am »
So a few months ago, when I went to my local Airgas to get a new Co2 tank, they claimed there were new regulations for consumable Co2.  It's called Freshblend and costs considerably more than what I used to pay.  Anyways, it seems as if it isn't carbonating my beer as quickly.  Usually, I set at 30 psi, shake a little...let it sit for two days, then back it down to serving pressure 10 psi for 5 more days.  Seven days total and my beers were carbed up great.  Not now, it seems that it takes an extra 3-4 days.  I Googled Freshblend and I couldn't come up with much.  There are different mixtures of Co2 in the Freshblend.  I guess I need to call my local Airgas and find out which mixture I am buying.  I might have to start going back to my fire extinguisher guy, he's alot cheaper but I have to leave the tank with him for a few days...it's probably worth it though.  Less money and better carb.....maybe it's all in my head. :P

Any thoughts?
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Re: FreshBlend Co2
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:01:08 am »
Google Airgas freshblend.  It seems to be possibly 30%/70% Co2/Nitrogen or 50/50 Co2/Nitrogen (beergas?)  There should be some indicator on the tank of what the mix is.  My Airgas guy is a homebrewer so fewer problems.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:01:17 am »
If Freshblend is indeed part nitro, that would explain the lower carb level.  But if they're trying to tell you that there's a "regulation" that you have to use beergas instead of straight CO2, I'd ask them to direct you to where you can read a copy of the regulation.  Sounds like maybe they don't know what they're talking about.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:18:09 am »
If Freshblend is indeed part nitro, that would explain the lower carb level.  But if they're trying to tell you that there's a "regulation" that you have to use beergas instead of straight CO2, I'd ask them to direct you to where you can read a copy of the regulation.  Sounds like maybe they don't know what they're talking about. are trying to fleece you.

Fixed that for you.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:39:00 am »
If Freshblend is indeed part nitro, that would explain the lower carb level.  But if they're trying to tell you that there's a "regulation" that you have to use beergas instead of straight CO2, I'd ask them to direct you to where you can read a copy of the regulation.  Sounds like maybe they don't know what they're talking about. are trying to fleece you.

Fixed that for you.

;D ...for once, I was trying to be a bit diplomatic!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:45:44 am »

Fixed that for you.

;D ...for once, I was trying to be a bit diplomatic!
Don't Denny, it's not becoming. ;)
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:27:46 am »
I quit going to Airgas after the first experience with them. A local fire-extinguisher or welding shop will be glad to get your business, and will fill while you wait.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 10:57:07 am »
A local fire-extinguisher or welding shop will be glad to get your business, and will fill while you wait.

Yep.  And usually they'll do an exchange which is even faster.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 11:41:46 am »
There are no places around here that fill while you wait, and finding ones that take drop offs is harder and harder.  For other people that is, I just swap. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 11:23:17 am »
Thanks guys, I guess I'm  not going too crazy!  I'm gonna go back to my extinguisher guy next time. 
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 06:23:19 pm »
AirGas also makes a FreshBlend with methane-oxygen-nitrogen.
So if your flatus volume and/or frequency has dramatically increased as of late, you may well have this blend.
 ;D
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins