Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle Condition Before Lagering?  (Read 4764 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Bottle Condition Before Lagering?
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:29:55 am »
Lets say I'm brewing a lager and want to bottle condition.  It seems to me that bottling after primary and letting it condition and do a diacetyl rest at say 65F for a week or so prior to lagering would be more efficient than lagering, then bottling and waiting for it to carb and the yeast to drop again.  Is there a preference here, or a problem with doing it this way?  Other than bottles being a little less space-efficient in the lagering fridge?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Bottle Condition Before Lagering?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 06:34:52 am »
The commercial breweries bulk age in the lagering tanks.  The beer is primed and  bottled, the bottles are kept at a little higher temp (50F) so they will carbonate, then to cold storage.  This is what I remember, but I am only on the first cup of coffee this morning.

Your way might work fine.

I lager in the keg, force carbonate, and bottle what I need for competitions from the keg.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:42:44 am »
I've done it a couple of times and have had no problems with lagering in the bottle after carbonating.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 01:21:50 pm »
I just think it reduces the amount of time needed because you are dropping the bottling yeast out at the same time you are lagering.

If kegging, don't you want to carbonate before/during the lagering time?  To protect against oxidation and avoid stirring up yeast any nmore than necessary.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 06:26:53 pm »
If you fully ferment your beer in the fermenter and take care of any D-rest (in the fermenter) then bottle conditioning first and lagering later will work just fine.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline 3wood

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 09:10:48 pm »
I have brewed two lagers... and bottled as normal but placed them immediatly in the fridge to condition.  I have had some fuzz overflow if kept in the bottle afterwards (in both cases) when opening, but in a glass it created a great foamy head! 
Christ made the best wine!