Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Munich Malt Belgian  (Read 6319 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
All Munich Malt Belgian
« on: September 24, 2011, 08:18:28 pm »
I was thinking of making a belgian with all Munich malt for the base malt.  Has anyone done this and what were the results?  I was thinking 12lbs Munich, 1 lb Caramunich, .5 lb Aromatic, and 1 lb of D-180 Candi Syrup. 
Dan Chisholm

Offline Kellermeister

• 1st Kit
Re: All Munich Malt Belgian
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:29:11 am »
Your recipe is on the extreme end for flavor.  I suggest using 75% munich, 25% pilsner for the base malt, instead of 100% munich.  All munich has a flavor that I did not care for, although that may depend on the type of grain.

Also, for a five gallon batch I would recommend no more than 8 oz caramunich.  This depends on whether you are using caramunich I, II or III.  You could probably get away with a full pound of caramunich I, however I believe you would prefer the flavor if you used less.

Aromatic is a flavor enhancer that should be used in moderation, I would recommend 4 oz.  I have not used it for quite a few years, though.

I have not used Candi syrup so will not comment.

Weyermann's website recommends Caramunich in the amount of 5-10%, so I could be wrong.

http://www.weyermann.de/ger/produkte.asp?PN=2&idkat=4&umenue=yes&idmenue=2&sprache=1

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:43:19 am »
I agree a lot with what was said above. You probably want the beer to finish out somewhat dry, so subbing in 15-25% pils for Munich basemalt will help your mash achieve maximum fermentablility (coupled with a long, low mash) while still retaining the flavor of the munich. I think you are all right with the cara munich, especially with the pound of candi sugar. You might sub out another .5-1lb of your basemalt for regular sugar just to be sure you achieve that "digestibility" that is prevalent in belgians.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:49:29 am by majorvices »

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:35:46 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  The more I've been thinking about it, I think I'm going to split the base malt with half Pils and half Munich. 
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:45:43 pm »
I'd say it kinda depends on what yeast you were planning on using.  You might consider losing the CaraMunich and leaving everything else there.  But the yeast will make a big difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 02:54:55 pm »
I'm using Wyeast 1762 Abbey Ale 2.
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 03:24:50 pm »
That's actually what I had in mind.  I think you should go for it...nothing ventured, nothing gained.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 05:45:34 pm »
I've never done an all Munich base malt before, so I might as well try it.  Denny are you suggesting dump the CaraMunich because of the Candi Syrup?  I made a Belgian last Saturday and used the D-45 Candi Syrup and I could definitely smell a great caramel aroma.  I can't wait to use the D-180.
Dan Chisholm

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 06:07:29 pm »
My understanding is it is very traditional for German brewmasters to add a small amount of pilsner malt strictly for the enzymes to dunkles and doppelbocks to insure complete conversion, or perhaps speed it up. Not saying that you can't brew with 100% munich and I realize there are enough enzymes for conversion but I prefer adding a little pils malt and I think the final beer is better for it. My .02.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 06:10:46 pm »
I also think yeast selection will come into play. Depending on yeast selection you may want to sub some cane sugar for malt. I've had an all Dark Munich Altbier using S05 that attenuted pretty well and made a really tasty beer (not cloying or under attenuated). The AA% of the beer will be mainly dependent upon your yeast selection.
Ron Price

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 09:16:42 am »
I’ve seen a few Oktoberfest recipes with 100% Munich. This style would showcase the malt and give you a starting point for formulating other recipes.

On the other hand, I LOVE the idea of using a malt-forward grain bill in Belgian recipes. I think with great, fresh malt a beer can be both “digestible” and “malty”, especially with the addition of a mild sugar.

+1 Denny - "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 09:37:50 am »
I've never done an all Munich base malt before, so I might as well try it.  Denny are you suggesting dump the CaraMunich because of the Candi Syrup?  I made a Belgian last Saturday and used the D-45 Candi Syrup and I could definitely smell a great caramel aroma.  I can't wait to use the D-180.

No, I'm saying dump the CaraMunich to keep the beer drier.  But that was an off the top of my head suggestion.  A bit (1/4-1/2 lb.) might work well.  A toss up, your choice.  I've never had trouble getting an all Munich beer to convert and attenuate.  You could add some pils malt to be sure, but I think a 90 min. mash at 148-150 would work fine.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 03:35:36 pm »
Alright,  I think I'll use

10 lbs Munich
2 lbs Pils
.5 lb CaraMunich
.25 lb Aromatic
1 lb D-180

Dan Chisholm