Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What Specialty Grains?  (Read 2711 times)

Offline dons

• Cellarman
  • Carrabelle, Florida
What Specialty Grains?
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:34:18 am »
I'm moving from pure hophead to a wider range of beer.  Specifically, I find myself wanting to taste more
grain ("chewiness"?) and flavors than my current favorite SN Torpedo.  In particular, I'm starting to appreciate
some of the complexities of barleywine.  The SN XXX anniversary Black Barleywine was very good.

I do not want to attempted a barleywine - I'm just not yet at that point of expertise.  Trying to take it slow.  So,
my thought was to ask y'all what you might substitute for the grains in my, so far, favorite brew.  I'll list the hops
also so you get the entire picture.  But mainly, how can I substitute (or add) specialty grains or adjuncts to make
this more of a malty tasting beer without sacrificing the general hoppiness, etc that I now enjoy?

10.5 pounds domestic 2-row malt (GRNB001)
 1 pound Crystal 45 (GRNS101 Crisp)
.5 pounds Cara pils (GRNS001)
.5 oz Centennial FWH
.5 oz Chinook (60)
.5 oz Columbus (10)
.5 oz Columbus (5)
.5 oz Chinook (5)
.5 oz Centennial (5)
.5 oz Columbus (0)
.5 oz Centennial (0)
.5 oz Columbus (dh)
.5 oz Centennial (dh)
WL001  White Labs Calif 001

Thanks!
Don
I've finally figured out my problem.  I have Cenosillicaphobia.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: What Specialty Grains?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:47:01 am »
Some Munich & Vienna, about a half a pound to a pound each, would kick it up a notch for sure. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:48:16 am »
Sub 10L Munich for all the pale malt.  Lose the crystal and carapils and add 1 lb. of Victory.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 10:04:25 am »
+1 to the Munich, Vienna & Victory comments.

Might also try subbing Maris Otter for the 2-row.

Maybe, experiment with adding Melanoiden.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:14:05 am »
You can make a pretty good imperial red/amber with your base beer and certainly make it maltier.  It will be closer to your goal of a barleywine in color and flavor.  Drop the C-45L and carapils. Add 1lb Munich 10L, 0.5-1lb Victory, A 2:1 ratio of Crystal 60L:Crystal 120L (1lb:0.5lb), and then 2oz. of chocolate malt.  Keep your hop amount and schedule the same. Mash 152-154F. Changing yeasts can also get you a maltier flavor/mouthfeel.  Try using an English strain like WLP002 vs. the very clean strain like WLP001
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:22:28 am by hoser »

Offline dons

• Cellarman
  • Carrabelle, Florida
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:54:14 am »
Sub 10L Munich for all the pale malt.  Lose the crystal and carapils and add 1 lb. of Victory.

The brew store I intend to use (Hearts in Orlando) does not list a Munich 10L.  They do have a
"Belgian Caramunich (53-60 Lovibond).  Is that useable or should I try something else?

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:59:04 am »
CaraMunich is like a crystal malt and is not a sub for Munich.  Does your LHBS carry any type of "regular" Munich malt?

ETA:  I looked at Heart's website and they do have Weyermann Munich I and II listed.  Those are great malts.  You could go for either.  Type I will give you a less intense (but still prominent) maltiness than type II, but either would work great to increase malt flavor and body.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:02:58 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dons

• Cellarman
  • Carrabelle, Florida
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 12:04:58 pm »
Thanks, Denny.  Was just replying the same to you.
Cheers!

Offline dons

• Cellarman
  • Carrabelle, Florida
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 12:25:50 pm »
Sub 10L Munich for all the pale malt.  Lose the crystal and carapils and add 1 lb. of Victory.

I wanted to give a follow-up to this thread.  I'm now drinking an IPA that is not only the best I've ever made but is probably one of my favorite beers ever.  I took Denny's suggestion and the result was wonderful.  It is sweeter and smoother than my previous, but has a lot of body to it.  I am nearly through the keg and it I still purr after nearly every glass.  (And I used the Weyermann Munich I)

Thanks, Denny.  This was EXACTLY what I was after!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:31:10 pm by dons »

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 12:32:30 pm »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 07:30:41 am »
If you can, sample a few kernels of each type of grain you're considering using in your next recipe.  I find this helpful sometimes when I'm on the fence about whether to use victory versus biscuit, or munich versus melanoiden, for example.