Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hawai`i Nui Beers  (Read 1316 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Hawai`i Nui Beers
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:22:21 pm »
Last week I was invited to attend the blessing of the new bottling line at Hawai`i Nui Brewing (aka Mehana).  Here in Hawai`i the launch of new things are often blessed by kahuna.

After the blessing all in attendance were invited to help themselves to pupus and draft beer.  A quick scan of the jockey box revealed a tap with something new; Southern Cross Winter Ale.   Hmmm...

From their web site blog, "This year our 'Southern Cross' seasonal ale it is a smoked double red or what some call an Imperial Amber Ale.  We brew it with Belgian style yeast for a very authentic and phenomenal beer."

All I can say is Wow!  A really nice Belgian style double!  I didn't taste the smoke, but I was blown away!  Good commercial beer is finally being brewed right here in River City... oops, I mean Hilo.

Hawai`i Nui Brewing is the only brewery bottling beer here in Hawai`i.

While marveling at the new seasonal beer, I talked story with Hawai`i Nui president Keith Kinsey and brewer Kaiao Archer.  They said that they knew Mehana had a reputation of brewing unremarkable beers, but they are determined to brew their way out of that reputation.  I said that Southern Cross was certainly evidence of that.  When asked what I would like to see Hawai`i Nui brew, I told them I really like hoppy beers, "How about a stick-your-dick-in-the-dirt hoppy imperial IPA?"

Kaiao looked at Keith and said, "See?!  I told you!  I'd really love to brew one imperial IPA!"
I said, "It would be the perfect New Years seasonal."

They do have a seasonal batch of Tsunami IPA due out in a couple of weeks.  Yeah baby!   Good things are coming here on the Big Island!

Now back to my growler of Southern Cross.  Yum!  I worked hard today.  I earned it.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907