General Category > Equipment and Software

Pump question

(1/2) > >>

tygo:
So after my last sub-freezing brewing experience with using garden hoses and my IC outside to chill I decided to build a simple system to chill using water recirculated via a pump through the IC into a cooler.  Found a cheap aquarium pump on Amazon and not knowing what I was doing bought it.  Attached hose fittings to two lengths of 1/2" ID clear tubing and fired it up.  No surprise, it didn't have the juice to move the water.

So I went out and got one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Plumbing-Pumps-Utility/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zasgg/R-100178274/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Now I'm not sure if I went overboard or not.  There's no question this will move the water through the system but I'm worried it's got too much power for the 1/2" tubing and the chiller coil.  I don't want to either 1) burn out the pump motor, or 2) rupture something somewhere else.

Anyone have an opinion they'd care to share or experience with this pump?

lupy:
I'm not familiar with that particular pump but I use a 1/6hp - 1,200GPH pump with 1/2" tubing and it works just fine. Doesn't seem to be stressed at any point in the set-up.
Some folks use similar 1/6 -1/2hp pumps from Harbor Freight like this

Podo:
I don't have that exact pump either, but I got one very similar to it from Northern Tool.  I use it in the summer to push ice water through my immersion chiller and it works like a champ. 

tygo:
Great, thanks for the help guys.

Thirsty_Monk:
How is this pump cooled?

I do not have personal experience but I heard that these kind of pumps generate fair amount of heat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version