Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Left Hand Milk Stout  (Read 6885 times)

vorlaufthegreat

Re: Left Hand Milk Stout
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 10:53:50 am »
vorlauf - from what I can make out, that is a HELL of a draft selection!

They have 18 rotating craft beers on tap and I think usually a little over 100 bottles. Their food is amazing too. It's a great thing to live in Denver!  ;D

jaybeerman

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 12:11:12 pm »
They have 18 rotating craft beers on tap and I think usually a little over 100 bottles. Their food is amazing too. It's a great thing to live in Denver!  ;D

where is this?

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 12:21:12 pm »
Here it is.

Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.0 gal
Boil Size: 7.68 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 38.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 58.2 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.3 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.3 %
1.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 9.1 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.7 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [6.00%] (60 min) Hops 18.6 IBU
1.00 oz Willamette [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7.3 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (WL001, WY1056 or WL005, WY1272) Yeast-Ale

Single infusion mash at 155

I'd use Magnum instead of NB, but I think I was out of Magnum when I formulated this.

Yes, I realize the ingredients are a bit different than the website lists, and it has some slight differences in the final outcome vs. the real deal, but its pretty darn close, IMO.

This is an excellent candidate for late mash addition of the roasted grains.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

vorlaufthegreat

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 12:41:15 pm »

where is this?
It's called Freshcraft and its inbetween 15th and 16th on Blake St. I'd say the opened up about a year or so ago.

jaybeerman

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 03:20:33 pm »

where is this?
It's called Freshcraft and its inbetween 15th and 16th on Blake St. I'd say the opened up about a year or so ago.

thanks, that'll be on my things to do list next time we're that way

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 11:48:20 am »
This is the beer that turned me on to the whole style. I am throwing a Milk Stout in as my next beer into the primary on the weekend after thanksgiving. I am hoping to visit the brewery next month when I am on my army sponsored trip to Denver. Longmont is only about a half-hour away right? or did I misread the map?

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 01:55:37 am »
For those who don't live Colorado, Left Hand has been hyping up their release of their milk stout bottled with nitro, not CO2, it's very good pours like a Guinness.

Oh and Fresh-craft is a great place for great craft brews and food when in Denver,
If you happen to venture north to Fort Collins, stop by The Mayor of Old Town (100 beers on tap) and great food, plus there now like 8 or 9 breweries/brewpubs in town

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 02:04:31 pm »
This is the beer that turned me on to the whole style. I am throwing a Milk Stout in as my next beer into the primary on the weekend after thanksgiving. I am hoping to visit the brewery next month when I am on my army sponsored trip to Denver. Longmont is only about a half-hour away right? or did I misread the map?

Yeah Longmont is about 20-30min north of Denver and about 30min south of fort Collins on I-25 ans about 20=30min away from Boulder as well, right in the middle of the front range breweries
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline shanhorn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 12:28:39 pm »
Left Hand's Milk Stout (Purple Cow on Package) is & has been a standard among Milk stouts. Just last year Left Hand began bottling the Milk Stout using NITRO to carbonate the standard Milk Stout. The NITRO Black package lets you know your getting NITRO charged Beer, It say's 'Pour Hard' into the bottom of the glass to achieve good head. I have found any beer poured hard produces a great head.

That said, either beer is top quality!