Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe ownership?  (Read 9428 times)

Offline lupy

• Cellarman
Recipe ownership?
« on: January 11, 2010, 08:15:05 pm »
If I take someone else's a recipe and tweak it by changing the hop schedule or the yeast type or something else, could I ethically claim it as MY recipe? How much do I need to change it to claim it as mine.
$2 words for a 2ยข story

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Re: Recipe ownership?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 08:16:10 pm »
If I take someone else's a recipe and tweak it by changing the hop schedule or the yeast type or something else, could I ethically claim it as MY recipe? How much do I need to change it to claim it as mine.

Denny says its yours once you use your water.

I would add that the original brewer deserves some mention though.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:24:45 pm by babalu87 »
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:28:49 pm »
I think, if you use someone else's recipe - even in part - you should give them credit at least in part. But, as a professional graphic designer and artist it is a well known industry inside saying that "Good artist innovate .... great artists steal!" ;)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:38:51 pm »
If you take a recipe and brew it with your water, on your system, with your procedures, then it is a different beer.  Good form and karma to credit the inspiration.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:12:52 pm »
Agreed! +1 on the beer/homebrew karma.  :)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 05:29:22 am »

Denny says its yours once you use your water.

I would add that the original brewer deserves some mention though.

Yes indeed...if you ever take part in a group brew where everyone brews the same recipe then shares the results, the difference in beers is pretty surprising.  That said if I incorporate someone else's recipe or just part of their recipe into something I brew, I've go no problem with giving credit for the inspiration/guidance.  It's the right thing to do IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:31:10 am by k4df4l »

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:38:40 am »
I have trouble taking credit for someone else's recipe. Of course the same recipe will taste different with a different brewer, water, system, etc, but if I didn't write the recipe, I don't take credit for it.

I brewed Denny's BVIP and it was fantastic, and most likely different than Denny's version. Its my beer and I brewed it, but not my recipe. Give credit where credit is due.
Travis R.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 06:43:38 am »
I always say that this recipe was based on or adapted from recipe X when credit is due.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 06:46:06 am »
I beleive credit should be given wher credit is due even if the recipe was inspired by another brewer. Unfortunately, I don't think it happens very much.
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 08:00:19 am »
I don't think you need to set aside space on the label, or take out a public notice in the newspaper. But if you won an award or got mention in an article I think you should throw in a little shout out to the original inspiration. If you built a brewery based on a flat out borrowed recipe - maybe send the guy a case.

"Would you like to try my IPA based on Denny's recipe, except I subbed in Centennials and used a little honey malt because that's what I had at the time?" Would get kinda tedious, eh? With other brewers it would probably come out naturally in the course of discussion, but someone dropping by the house for a beer probably doesn't want to hear your geeky beer story.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 08:46:29 am »
I rarely use someone elses recipe, but when I do, I do like to give credit for the inspiration.  There are so many combinations and permutations of recipes, i think it would be hard not to find similarities in a lot of recipes.  Kind of like rock and roll music, three cord limit. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 10:17:24 am »
If you take a recipe and brew it with your water, on your system, with your procedures, then it is a different beer.  Good form and karma to credit the inspiration.

Yes, it's a different beer, but that doesn't mean it's a different recipe.  I agree that if you make changes, it's then your recipe but you should credit the original source of the recipe you changed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline makemehoppy

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 10:24:02 am »
I like the based on a recipe by... or inspired by....  to indicate that you started with someone else's recipe. But we all do that to some extent. As far as  brewing competition awards, I would still mention the source. But brewing competitions are just that brewing competitions and not recipe writing competitions.

I think I would actually be prouder of myself if I could take someone's recipe and make a close representation of the beer than I would be in just brewing a great beer that I invented myself. At this point I pride myself more on the brewing process than the innovative part of brewing.

brewboy

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 10:32:48 am »
IMO, every recipe pretty much starts with ideas from one of similar style. What if you take one that who inspired by someone else.
When does the "chain of credit" stop?

I think if you merely make substitutions, then credit should be given, but if you start eliminating a hop or a grain, then it's yours.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 11:15:51 am »
Joe begat Brown Porter, that was passed to Paul who begat Robust Porter, and through Fred was begat Baltic Porter, on to Denny who begat VIP. I guess it's just good gamesmanship to give credit if you have the opportunity, but there should be a complexity or something special about the brew to even think you deserve credit IMO.

6 lbs wheat, 6lbs 2-row, steep at 152, 1oz fuggles and .5oz cascade and pitch Pacman yeast shouldn't be a creditable recipe - even though the beer will likely be good. It's too simple to deserve credit, I think.
The moral majority, is neither.