Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe ownership?  (Read 9376 times)

brewboy

Re: Recipe ownership?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 03:10:36 pm »
If it's good, then it's my recipe. If it sucks, then I credit who ever wrote the recipe

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 06:12:47 pm »
I guess I kinda see it this way... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1h3alZfMXw

Offline Podo

• Cellarman
  • Korea
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 07:30:01 pm »
When I re-create someone else's recipe, I feel like Weird Al Yankovic.  Kinda like the original, but screwed up
So good once it hits your lips!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 07:48:12 pm »
As long as I do this way...it's My Recipe.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Lp4w8wyy0
Ron Price

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 09:03:17 pm »
Read and appreciate and absorb everyone's rockin' recipes.
Consult Designing Great BeersBy Ray Daniels.
Brew.
Receive Extreme BrewiingBy Dogfish Guy for Christmas.
Wonder...
Member #: 900000767

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 07:43:48 pm »
Are we just talking about something like what I did with one of mine?

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/PigHoleRobustPorter
Joe

Offline captain_sousie

• Cellarman
  • I am the Stig's Fat American Cousin
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 08:17:22 pm »
So, if I take a bicycle and start replacing parts one at a time when is it a new bike?
Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 10:20:40 pm »
So, if I take a bicycle and start replacing parts one at a time when is it a new bike?

Plans for a bicycle. But anyway, 10 lbs 2row with either Fuggles or Cascades would be two pretty different beers wouldn't they? Was that 50 percent of the recipe(2 ingredients) or less than 1 percent(2 ounces out of 162)?

WWDD? - Denny, how much of your VIP do I need to change to where I don't have to say this is Denny's VIP anymore? What makes your VIP, your VIP?
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 10:35:29 pm »
If I brew something I'm proud of I'll give the recipe away.  First of all no matter what I think I did, somebody probably did it before me.  And even if my recipe is somehow absolutely original I know that nobody will probably ever brew my beer exactly as I did so it won't be the same.  I'm from the Gulf of Mexico coast, my mom has made her gumbo for 65 years now.  She gave her recipe, and even trained us to make it, to me and my sister, but nobody would ever know that those 3 gumbos had any connection.  There's way too much more than just a recipe.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2010, 10:56:14 am »
WWDD? - Denny, how much of your VIP do I need to change to where I don't have to say this is Denny's VIP anymore? What makes your VIP, your VIP?

Well, for one thing, the concept....but also the brown malt, the hop combo, and especially the overall flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2010, 11:43:44 am »
Denny, since you mentioned Brown malt, is that the same malt that Midwest calls "coffee" malt?  In their description they also say brown malt.  I've never tried that specific malt to get a coffee aroma or flavor so I ordered two pounds of it... kinda wondering if I bought the wrong malt now?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2010, 11:44:50 am »
Denny, since you mentioned Brown malt, is that the same malt that Midwest calls "coffee" malt?  In their description they also say brown malt.  I've never tried that specific malt to get a coffee aroma or flavor so I ordered two pounds of it... kinda wondering if I bought the wrong malt now?

Based on the coffee malt I've used in the past, it's different stuff.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2010, 04:40:49 pm »
Well, for one thing, the concept....but also the brown malt, the hop combo, and especially the overall flavor.

You realize you are just convenient for me to use as an example - nothing personal, right? So you are the original Vanilla Imperial Porter dude? I think that's creditworthy, And FWIW it is already a famous recipe, 14 pages on HBT so I don't guess you could really get away with STEALing this recipe.

So, any of those four things left in the original recipe - gets a *Denny Conn ?

* For the record, I don't even think I'll enter competitions, let alone start a brewery based on other peoples recipes. I just find this subject interesting.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:42:55 pm by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.