Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what to do with s-33  (Read 3262 times)

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
what to do with s-33
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:30:58 pm »
so i'm making a dubbel this weekend. i'm currently at the inlaws on long island for the holiday and was killing some time, thought i'd check out a homebrew shop close by. was looking for some wyeast or white labs but the shop only had dry yeast, when i went for T-58 the owner said 'oh no, don't use that, use the s-33, it gives great belgian characteristics!'. i had somewhat remembered reading reviews of s-33 but decide to take the guys word for it and make the $3 purchase...well i get home, do some searches, and low and behold i read less than thrilling reviews of s-33 for belgian styles. when i get back to CT i'll venture off to get some abbey II or trappist...but now i have this packet of s-33...what the heck kind of yeast is this? i've heard it's a less attenuative english yeast? help? please don't say it's a dry edme yeast...i have read that and don't really know what it means... :(
Take it easy...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: what to do with s-33
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 03:42:47 pm »
Edme was (is?) a British brewery and that's the yeast they used (use?).
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:06:23 pm »
Edme was (is?) a British brewery and that's the yeast they used (use?).

Edme is a malt supplier and was one of the earlier British homebrew supply companies, rather than a brewer. Lots of people used, and still used their kits.

Their homebrew website is here - http://www.tomcaxton.com/edme/index.htm

The industial arm is here - http://www.edme.com/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:09:31 pm by alikocho »
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:01:29 pm »
sooo like...an esb?

thanks for the info by the way.
Take it easy...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 12:12:34 am »
I didn't get the phenols that I see in a lot of Belgian styles. Other then the pear-like esters that dissipated after a while the beer was pretty clean.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 07:22:32 am »
It is what Northern Brewer supplies in their Tongue Splitter kit if you get the dry yeast option. They match it with Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale as a liquid option, which I found odd. ??? I got a lot of peppery and phenolic flavors out of it. :-\ It seemed in my opinion to be suitable for a Belgian wheat or Trappist, as Fermentis suggests, but not for a west coast IPA.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 07:48:41 am »
I've used S-33 in porters and never noticed anything phenolic or Belgian-y about it. It was a bit estery like a British yeast, but fairly clean. FG was higher than I expected. It's not a great attenuator.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.