Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Small-batch brewing versus extract brewing  (Read 5828 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Small-batch brewing versus extract brewing
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 10:21:20 am »
I wrote about it last year, but the thing that I did to solve my "not enough variety" complex was to do funny things to the different batches of wort. Think multiple yeast pitches on a much, much bigger scale.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 11:34:31 am »
I have done 10 gallon all-grain batches for years.  Lately I have been doing 5 gallon partial mash batches because of both time constraints and as a way to test out new ingredients and formulate new recipes that I don't feel like brewing 10 gallons of if I don't like them.  To the last point I have been thinking about going even smaller like 2.5 gallons and brewing a few batches of the same thing and only changing 1 or 2 variables in each one.

Still, I have more fun going big!  (when I have the time)

I wrote about it last year, but the thing that I did to solve my "not enough variety" complex was to do funny things to the different batches of wort. Think multiple yeast pitches on a much, much bigger scale.

This^^^

I'm not mixing yeast yet, but am varying them up as well as playing with hops. The malt stays the same. Take the yeast out to 2-3 generations and move on to a different strain after I feel like I got my money's worth. I too have made large batches and struggled to drink both kegs. Sometimes have to drink it all by myself and contemplated dumping the beer because of sheer boredom and disgust. Was into small batches last winter and made some really nice beers that I regretted not having more of, but- have the recipes for replication!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 11:56:06 am »
Here's a recent example of what I did:

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/recipes/bugged-out-oats

Same wort - half chilled at boil straight into a carboy with ECY BugFarm.

Other half was kept hot and dissolved the new Candi Syrup D-90 into the remaining wort - chilled and pitched with French Saison yeast.

2 radically different beers, one brew session.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison