Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: band-aid aroma  (Read 2306 times)

Offline forsides

• 1st Kit
band-aid aroma
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:11:11 am »
A few months back I made a 5 gallon batch of Belgian IPA, and unfortunately it has the dreaded band-aid aroma... and it's bad.  Crazy thing is that when I transferred it to the secondary after 10 days in the primary, I tasted it and thought it tasted amazing.  I bottled about 4 weeks after putting it in the 2ndary, and at that time it had a bad band-aid smell.  I've used tap water from Union, NJ with all the beers I've made here in the last year, and this is the 1st to ever be contaminated with chlorine.  I use One-Step as my cleanser/sanitizer as I always have, so my only explanation for the chlorine being present is from the water on that day.  I would like to take a sample of my tap water and send it somewhere to be tested for levels of chemicals, minerals, etc... but am not sure where to send it.  I'm also wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for chlorine to create this odor.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Re: band-aid aroma
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 01:09:55 pm »
Ward Labs test and howto from Homebrewtalk.com

I have seen this recommended left and right, I have not had my water tested but I know
there is no chlorine in my water..I have a well.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 01:28:26 pm »
I'm not sure you should be so quick to rule out infection.  Just because you've followed the same sanitation routine before doesn't mean it couldn't happen.  In addition, I never found One Step to be as reliable a sanitizer as something like iodophor or StarSan.

In addition, that how-to confuses the tests.  You want W-6 which is $16.50.  Skip the how-to and just go to www.wardlab.com and all the info is there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 01:42:06 pm »
The aroma/characteristic you're describing is phenolic (Ortho-chloro-phenol to be exact) and it can be immediate to post-fermentation depending on various factors. It could also be caused by the yeast strain used and/or wild yeast as Denny suggested. Always use filtered brewing water!  ;)   
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 02:44:48 pm »
You can ship it to my wife, she cannot detect phenolics ;D

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 08:04:02 pm »
I had this happen to a smoked porter I made last year.  I ended up dumping the bear on bottling day (maybe jumped the gun) but it was soo awful.  Smelled like bandaids and tasted just as bad as it smelled.  I assumed mine was wild yeast contamination because I cooled the wort in an open pot under an open window on a windy day..smart eh...?
Bummer  :(

-Eric