Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Windsor yeast  (Read 2268 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Windsor yeast
« on: June 29, 2010, 12:50:50 am »
I picked up a handful of Windsor yeast packs from Danstar. Never used it before and the LHBS' price was half that of the S-05 they were out of. My web search reveals that it finishes high.

The stuff takes off voraciously. But then the krausen drops early leaving it a high finisher as for-told. On my second go with it the krausen rose and dropped within 30 hours of re-pitching.

Carbed- the 10 day old PA tastes great. ;D There's some medium bodied fruitiness there but no harsh solventy or estery flavors. I was really worried about it being too sweet but it's all good! We'll see about this Brown ale after a few days...

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Windsor yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:56:08 am »
Don't recall ever using this yeast.  Glad to hear it worked for you.  Keep us posted on future results, maybe I'll give it a try down the road.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 08:42:07 am »
I picked up a handful of Windsor yeast packs from Danstar. Never used it before and the LHBS' price was half that of the S-05 they were out of. My web search reveals that it finishes high.

What do you consider high?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:17:24 am »

What do you consider high?

I consider a beer to have finished "high" when FG is above 1.016 up into the 20's when it had the potential to finish much lower. Both of these batches show a final gravity of 1.020. Mainly it's a comparison to other dry ale yeasts such as S-04 and US-05 which in my experience consistently finish about 1.010- 1.012. However, at this point I'm entirely pleased with the results.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:02:00 pm »
FWIW, I've found that Windsor gives a fruitier finish - more like S-04.  Nottingham is more like S-05.  They aren't the same strain, but the finish product is close.  I'm not a big Danstar user, but I've used 'em in a pinch.