Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: stuff I'm finding under the microscope  (Read 42902 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: stuff I'm finding under the microscope
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2010, 07:49:55 pm »
Kai,

Hopefully that's not beginners luck, because that is a decent shot for the firt one.

...and most importantly there're no "things".  ;D

Really good stuff. Keep up the great work!  8)
Ron Price

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2010, 07:26:45 pm »
I'm think that I'll keep this thread going for all the interesting stuff I'm finding. Here are some pics from yesterday and tonight:

That looks like mold hyphae to me. But it is dead and I don't think it came from my beer. It mos likely came from the picnic tap I used to sample

Here I used the 100x oil immersion lens to get to 1000x magnification and used the zoom of the camera to get even closer. Even w/o the blurriness of the camera the 1000x of the microscope is rather blurry. But I don't use that magnification much.

The dregs from a Schneider Weisse bottle. I wanted to see how much live yeast is in there. There seems to be a lot and I'm also culturing it. The yeast is obvious but there is a lot of other very small stuff. I wonder if that is chill haze.

close-up of the same dregs. There were a lot of crystals which might be calcium oxalate. A quick Google search supports that. This bears the question if Schneider brews with calcium deficient water which is known for causing calcium oxalate precipitation in the bottle.

Kai

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:47:05 pm by Kaiser »

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2010, 07:36:43 pm »
I'm loving this thread! The pics look great with your point an shoot. Your top pic looks like mold. Like you said, probably from the tap. Why do you say it is dead?
Keep em comin!
Travis R.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2010, 07:45:56 pm »
I'm loving this thread! The pics look great with your point an shoot. Your top pic looks like mold. Like you said, probably from the tap. Why do you say it is dead?
Keep em comin!

Yes you are correct. I did some more Google searching and it has more in common with hyphae than with Brett. Makes sense since mold is my primary brewery contaminant.

Kai

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2010, 06:07:34 am »
Do you know how many people are probably searching for microscopes now since you started this thread and added pics?   :D

Cool pics and without the expense of an adaptor or scope with camera!   ;D

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2010, 06:33:33 am »
Do you know how many people are probably searching for microscopes now since you started this thread and added pics?   :D

I agree with you. If you think about it the ~$220 i spent for the scope and haemacytometer isn't that much when compared to other brewery upgrades that brewers usually consider. Looking at stuff and counting cells may wear off quickly though. It does add some time
to the brewing process but being able to look at yeast also raises awareness about these critters. And they are the most important part in brewing.

Kai

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2010, 07:55:14 am »
Kai,  I think the blurring you see at the edges of the photo are due to chromatic aberration.  You might be able to find an ACHROMAT or PLAN ACHROMAT objective to fit your microscope which will give you photos with a much flatter field of view, but this would likely be costly.  One place that sells surplus optical materials of this sort is www.surplusshack.com

They also regularly have older surplus microscopes at reasonable prices.
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2010, 08:01:45 am »
Actually, I take back the mold comment. Your first pic looks more like yeast with pseudohyphae, which can form in saccharomyces.
Travis R.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2010, 12:36:22 pm »

That looks like mold hyphae to me. But it is dead and I don't think it came from my beer. It mos likely came from the picnic tap

Now how OCD I need to become to be about picnic taps?
Shall I clean it in Star San every time after serving beer from it?

Great info.
Thank you
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2010, 01:41:31 pm »
I sure as hell am not going to sanitize every time I pour! Keep in mind that this isn't going back in your keg. Maybe i'll swab my picnic taps to see what grows. I'm not worried about what's on them really. Clean them every few weeks, or when you empty a keg...
Travis R.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2010, 11:25:31 am »
Great now I have this need to see whats crawling in my beer.

Offline littleegypt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2010, 11:31:59 am »
Looks like Euglena to me.  They are common protists found in water.  They are photosynthetic (why they appear green in most pictures and diagrams) but ethanol will draw the chlorophyll from the choloplasts.

Don't be surprised to find all sorts of protists (including Amoeba sp.) in your water and beer.  They are far more common than people realize.

Cheers,
Aaron

Here is a crude drawing of the thing with a yeast cell in comparison:

I also looked at pseudohyphae in Google image search and that’s not what it looks like.

anotherdrummer,

You are right. But I think I will still be able to enjoy this Doppelbock if it doesn't develop off flavors.

Kai

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2010, 11:44:02 am »
Looks like Euglena to me.  They are common protists found in water.  They are photosynthetic (why they appear green in most pictures and diagrams) but ethanol will draw the chlorophyll from the choloplasts.

That solves the mystey. Thanks. The things did indeed look like this image from the web:

Not sure yet where exactly it was hiding since I doubt that they can live in beer.

Kai

Offline littleegypt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2010, 11:55:37 am »
Nope, they can't live in beer at all - only freshwater.  Unless you used DI or RO water, I promise you that's where it came from.  Most likely it was entered via mash or sparge water.  It was long dead by the time you hit your sac. rest.

Cheers,
Aaron

Looks like Euglena to me.  They are common protists found in water.  They are photosynthetic (why they appear green in most pictures and diagrams) but ethanol will draw the chlorophyll from the choloplasts.

That solves the mystey. Thanks. The things did indeed look like this image from the web:

Not sure yet where exactly it was hiding since I doubt that they can live in beer.

Kai

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2010, 03:46:45 pm »
I swabbed my picnic tap and cultured on blood agar. Here are the results.
Lots of yeast (surprising, right?) and a few gram positive cocci.  The larger colonies are the GPC's.
I stained several colonies and one mix of GPC and yeast.

gram stained and ready to go...

Yeast, gram stained

Yeast and GPC

Travis R.