Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: stuff I'm finding under the microscope  (Read 42656 times)

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
Re: stuff I'm finding under the microscope
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2010, 09:14:30 am »
Looks like Euglena to me.  They are common protists found in water.  They are photosynthetic (why they appear green in most pictures and diagrams) but ethanol will draw the chlorophyll from the choloplasts.

That solves the mystey. Thanks. The things did indeed look like this image from the web:

Not sure yet where exactly it was hiding since I doubt that they can live in beer.

Kai

Kai,
what water are you using to dilute your sample?  You will need sterile filtered water if you don't want to see contamination such as this.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2010, 10:52:12 am »
Kai,
what water are you using to dilute your sample?  You will need sterile filtered water if you don't want to see contamination such as this.

I haven't seen those again after I noticed them first. I generally use distilled water from the drugstore to dilute my samples.

Kai

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2010, 09:33:14 am »
Here is a crude drawing of the thing with a yeast cell in comparison:

I also looked at pseudohyphae in Google image search and that’s not what it looks like.

anotherdrummer,

You are right. But I think I will still be able to enjoy this Doppelbock if it doesn't develop off flavors.

Kai

Hey Kai, I found this today... look familiar?

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=pellicle&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&q=euglena+pellicle&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=Euglena+pellicle&gs_rfai=
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 07:48:49 am by dean »