Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mini Kegs  (Read 7462 times)

Offline thebeermedic

• 1st Kit
Mini Kegs
« on: September 28, 2011, 09:09:01 am »
Does any one know where to source Mini kegs Like Warstiner Mini Kegs, that have the built in spout? Are there any Homebrew Sites that sell these online?.
Dan Evans
Sr. Brew Medic
Beer Medic Brewing

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Mini Kegs
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 01:02:41 pm »
Midwest is the only place I can find that still sells mini kegs.  It doesn't look like the ones they sell have the spout, but you could contact them to find out.

However, since the empty kegs are like $15 plus shipping, why not just buy the Warsteiner, choke it down and reuse the keg?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline thebeermedic

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:43:36 pm »
Joe,
   I'm going that route now. Just not that found of choking down crappy beer & the wife isn't found of me pouring it down the sink. Midwest doesn't have the spout. I found a supplier that sells them for $7 plus shipping... but the catch is the min order is 120 units..... I'll post if come up with anything else
Dan Evans
Sr. Brew Medic
Beer Medic Brewing

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 01:18:41 pm »
I saw some Oktoberfest kegs a few weeks back, and Bell's typically has them with Oberon in the summer and brown ale in the fall.  Those are more expensive but the beer is better. 

Now and then I'll see other craft brews in them.  I can't recall whose, but it might have been Rogue Yellow Snow IPA...  But I think that was like $40 for the mini-keg which is just too much IMO.

I buy one or two every so often, but I usually get the cheapest ones I can find and tap them for party/football game.

With the price of cornies going up, I'm getting back to using mini-kegs more often.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:47:55 pm »
I've purchased them from alternative beverage in north carolina a long time ago.  they still sell them but the Costco by me has Hofbräuhaus Oktoberfest in minikegs for the same price, so thats what I buy.
Mark

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 02:15:21 pm »
Try Listermann, http://www.listermann.com/Store/Details.asp?ID=641. You might want to call first, because they have sold kegs with and without the spout interchangeably.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 02:28:28 pm »
I've purchased them from alternative beverage in north carolina a long time ago.  they still sell them but the Costco by me has Hofbräuhaus Oktoberfest in minikegs for the same price, so thats what I buy.

Was just in Costco earlier today and they had stacks of those things.
Joe

Offline ppbrewclub

• 1st Kit
  • PPBC Est. Sept 2012
    • Facebook: Pleasant Prairie Brew Club
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 08:18:11 am »
I just bought a few of these and trying to hook up my CO2 gun to it.  There are a few websites/ideas out there, but the part list to accomplish this successfully are vague.  Anyone have success at finding a good parts list to make your own CO2 system on these?

Thanks!
Drink your own beer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:50:55 am »
There's a massive thread on the NB forums that deals with this in detail.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61167&sid=e7a4eaf17373e63c54bbe9e684fea284

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 07:14:08 am »
I believe there are more than a few German brewers who export the 5l kegs to the US. Paulaner and Warsteiner are the easiest to find but locally I've also seen a schwarzbier and I seem to think a pilsner or two. I bet you could host a party over the summer and clear out a few of them with the help of friends/neighbors.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 09:20:31 am »
I believe there are more than a few German brewers who export the 5l kegs to the US. Paulaner and Warsteiner are the easiest to find but locally I've also seen a schwarzbier and I seem to think a pilsner or two. I bet you could host a party over the summer and clear out a few of them with the help of friends/neighbors.

The schawrzbier I've seen is Kostriker (or something like that).  It's actually quite good.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 10:33:09 am »

The schawrzbier I've seen is Kostriker (or something like that).  It's actually quite good.

Yeah, I've had that in a mini-keg too, and it is good. We also have the usual Warsteiner, DAB Dort , and other usual suspects 'round here too.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 03:36:27 pm »
Midwest is the only place I can find that still sells mini kegs.  It doesn't look like the ones they sell have the spout, but you could contact them to find out.

However, since the empty kegs are like $15 plus shipping, why not just buy the Warsteiner, choke it down and reuse the keg?
Wait a minute, choke down Warsteiner?
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 01:17:06 am »

Wait a minute, choke down Warsteiner?
Yeah, dump it or give it to a friend if you really want the keg. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 07:46:42 am »
Ha, I know what he meant, I just couldn't get past why you'd need to choke down Warsteiner. It's one of the best German pilsners on the planet.
Jesse