Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Toasting wood chips  (Read 5420 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Toasting wood chips
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:34:08 am »
I want to toast some cherry wood chips to add to a beer. How long/hot should I toast the chips? Looking for a light toast.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: Toasting wood chips
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:13:31 pm »
I am actually doing a little experiment for our homebrew club here in Lincoln, Ne where I toast different varietals of woods and then taste them in a tea to determine their flavor contributions.  I don't have any data from it yet, but have toasted about 12 different wood varietals, including cherry wood.

I took wood chunks and cubed/chipped them.  Obviously, a little larger and thicker than wood chips.  But, my general process was to toast them in an oven at 350F x 3 hours spread evenly in one layer on a cookie sheet. I got a light to medium toast with this.  I then took a torch and toasted the side up just a little.  If you are going for a lighter toast with chips, I could see 350F x 2 hours.  The aroma in the house was fantastic!

This is the website and there is a diagram about 1/2 down the page I used for the basis of my temp and time.  Granted I am not distilling spirits and do not want charred wood, but I imagine the toasting recommendations are fairly similar between oak and other hardwoods.

http://homedistiller.org/aging.htm

I am curious to hear your results.  What style of beer are you going to age the cherry wood chips on?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Toasting wood chips
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:34:12 pm »
Thanks! I had no idea it would take 2-3 hours! Nice thoughts on the torch, too. I had not thought about that.

The beer is for a darkish (reddish brown) belgian specialty ale (about 1.090 OG, 1.010 FG). I'll be sure report my results.