Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Salts in beer?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Water Salts in beer?
« on: September 29, 2011, 02:59:19 pm »
Just brewed an American Brown Ale, and the resulting beer just does not have the "hop pop" I am looking for.  However, I tried adding some gypsum to a glass, and the flavor sharpened quite a bit.

Is there any reason I should not make a salt addition to the keg? Will the salt even dissolve?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Water Salts in beer?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 03:02:50 pm »
Low pH has a lot to do with why minerals dissolve so it might work, though I have never personally tried it.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 03:20:44 pm »
Yes, the gypsum will dissolve in the beer.   I would add a known quantity of gypsum to a known quantity of beer and titrate until you get the level to where you want it and then scale it up to your current batch size. 

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 03:28:22 pm »
Yes, the gypsum will dissolve in the beer.   I would add a known quantity of gypsum to a known quantity of beer and titrate until you get the level to where you want it and then scale it up to your current batch size. 

Perfect!  I will get my gram scale and graduated cyl. out!  My first test of just sprinkling a little salt into a glass and adding beer.... left quite a bit of undissolved salt in the bottom of the glass, but I very well could have just added too much for the beer or not given the proper time/agitation to dissolve.   

Thanks!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!