Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Please tell me this isn't what I think it is  (Read 3537 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Please tell me this isn't what I think it is
« on: September 29, 2011, 05:33:55 pm »
I am pretty sure this is acetobacter. Say it ain't so.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Please tell me this isn't what I think it is
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 05:51:43 pm »
It ain't so!

J/K..... ;D

Looks infected. To me.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:53:33 pm »
Wow.
Honestly, the outlook here doesn't look good to me.
How does it smell?

Sorry...but I could be wrong.  Cover it back up and let it work a few more days then take a small taste...that may tell the tale.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:18:51 pm »
Not getting my hopes up for this one.  :(
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 06:40:19 pm »
The smell was slightly acidic, but not particularly so for a porter. The taste was also very slightly tart, but it is hard to say if that was unusual or not, as I am not very good at discerning much from warm mucky uncarbonated nasty "first bit diverted from going into the keg" beer, and I was trying to taste acetic acid.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »
Mold can usually be skimmed off the top, then rack the beer into a keg. If the beer tastes bad then dump it. This is caused by poor sanitation in most cases and/or you have a higher incidence of mold floating around in your brewery.
Ron Price

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:23:07 pm »
Does it smell like vinegar?
Brew on

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:33:58 am »
I know it is hard to tell from the picture, but it isn't fuzzy like mold, it was more like a plasticine film that had some bubbles in it. It didn't smell like vinegar, just like dark beer.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 01:29:01 am »
I've had some white flaky films that break up after the krausen has subsided and the beer's set for a few days, weeks even. If this is the case then the beer's fine. Steady your hand, focus and use a flash when posting this type of pic. Cause this looks like fuzzy bubbles. ???
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 05:45:37 am »
Yep, hate to break it to you but that looks like acetobacter. Does the film have a waxy consistency? Have you seen any fruit flies around the fermenter? This is fruit fly season. I think I lost a batch 2 or 3 years in a row late sept/early oct. once. All in plastic buckets.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 05:56:46 am »
I've seen this several times before.  In my experience it makes the beer taste like turpentine and dry as a bone.  Probably a dumper, unfortunately.  And for me, it's been caused by everything from poor sanitation to dry hopping to fruit flies.  Dang bacteria cling to hops and bugs and screw up your beer.  Nevertheless, it's a good idea tasting the beer and deciding if this is something you're willing to drink a lot of very fast before it gets any worse (which it probably will), or whether it's just a dumper.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 06:48:29 am »
Yep, hate to break it to you but that looks like acetobacter. Does the film have a waxy consistency? Have you seen any fruit flies around the fermenter? This is fruit fly season. I think I lost a batch 2 or 3 years in a row late sept/early oct. once. All in plastic buckets.

Yeah, the fruit flies have been congregating like a Biblical plague around here  . . I had one carboy of Dubbel that may have succumbed to the hordes . . .
Just brew it...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 08:29:30 am »
I've never had a fruit fly make it through a wet airlock in a carboy. With buckets the airlock doesn't matter, they can get through the seals (or their larvae can).

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 09:14:45 am »
I've never had a fruit fly make it through a wet airlock in a carboy. With buckets the airlock doesn't matter, they can get through the seals (or their larvae can).

Exactamundo.  After brewing only in buckets for all of my 85+ batches, I have just purchased a glass carboy, and this was one of the reasons.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 11:01:16 am »
I know it is hard to tell from the picture, but it isn't fuzzy like mold, it was more like a plasticine film that had some bubbles in it. It didn't smell like vinegar, just like dark beer.

Acetobactor likes to form a plastic like film over the surface of the beer. The picture doesn't show that. However, if it the beer is taking on an acetic aroma and has a vinegar-like flavor then it is an acetobactor infection for sure.
Ron Price