Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vanilla Porter  (Read 3356 times)

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
Vanilla Porter
« on: September 24, 2011, 02:58:26 pm »
I have been looking at a lot of beer styles what with my time in Germany and when I came home I ran into a Vanilla Porter made by a local brewery here in Colorado and found the taste quite good and very relaxing to drink. Sort of what I would call a lay back beer.  Than I see that the winning beer this year is a vanilla porter, so 2+2 is always try a new twist on a stile you already make well.

Here is my problem, the grain bill calls for whole vanilla beans and whole Coffey beans. Beans for Coffey no problem however, if I substitute the Vanilla Beans with extract how much should I use or should I? Can I shorten the long aging times involved with blending the beans into the porter if I use extract?    My line of thinking is if I use the Vanilla extract and keep the Coffey the same I should be able to cut the age time in half and have it ready for Christmas because the extract should blend faster than the chunks of Venilla beans. Or if I do that will I over power the Porter with Vanilla and if so how much should I use in say a 5.5 gal batch to prevent that? Anyone making a Vanilla Porter? If so how do you do it?  ;D
People keep telling me it's not rocket science... I like rockets..

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Vanilla Porter
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 04:10:23 pm »
I make a beer with vanilla about once a year... not always a porter... but I use at least 4 beans split lenghtwise in secondary for at least 2 weeks. Keep in mind the vanilla flavor with fade with time. If you decide to use extract, find a good, high quality one and start mixing it in about a teaspoon at a time and stir gently and taste as you go. For the coffee, I cold steep a strong brew and add it at bottling/kegging too. and you could 'dry bean' too. Add some coarsely cracked beans when you add the vanilla if you do it in secondary.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 11:39:52 pm »
On the day I brew my porter I split 2 vanilla beans, cut them into inch long pieces and put in about 1/2 cup bourbon.  I let them soak until I'm ready to keg(usually about 3 weeks) and then pour the bourbon into the keg.  In your case pour it into the bottling bucket.  It should easily be ready (if not finished) by Christmas.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:50:22 pm »
it's not a vanilla porter but...denny's bvip is pretty awesome. if you have the better half of an afternoon and don't mind sifting through a gabillion posts i recommend making your way over to the northernbrewer forum and checking out denny's boubon vanilla imperial porter.
Take it easy...

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 09:41:19 am »
Thanks for the input... ;D
People keep telling me it's not rocket science... I like rockets..

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 11:12:22 am »
it's not a vanilla porter but...denny's bvip is pretty awesome. if you have the better half of an afternoon and don't mind sifting through a gabillion posts i recommend making your way over to the northernbrewer forum and checking out denny's boubon vanilla imperial porter.

+1