Author Topic: Anyone besides me think the price of  (Read 4289 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone besides me think the price of
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
American car companies - union workers
Foriegn car companies - non-union workers

notice the differences
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hopfenundmalz

• I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 05:54:39 PM »

Foriegn car companies - non-union workers

notice the differences
If you are only thinking the US built vehicles, is this true.

Not always true for an imported vehicle.
IG Metall is the union in Germany.  They are fairly powerful.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IG_Metall

This is the union in Japan.  Not as powerful.  http://www.jaw.or.jp/e/

The US companies that have plants in Mexico are not union as far as I know.  
The US companies that have plants in Canada are represented by the CAW.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:24:55 PM by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 08:51:04 PM »
I want my car built by union workers that smoke weed at lunch.  ;D

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 10:23:47 PM »
I want my car built by union workers that smoke weed at lunch.  ;D

And leave beer cans in the doors. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 08:36:28 AM »
Um, let's not let this devolve into a union/non union thing.  I happen to know a lot of union workers who do a great job and are very reasonable people.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 08:52:46 AM »
Um, let's not let this devolve into a union/non union thing.  I happen to know a lot of union workers who do a great job and are very reasonable people.

Like professional basketball players?  :D

I'm hoping my 2001 Honda Civic sticks around for a couple more years.  Bought it new in 2000 and I'd hate to have to say good-bye  :'(
Sergeant - BNArmy CLUB Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster General
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 08:54:14 AM »
Same with '00 mustang. Bought it 1 year used (6500 miles) and she's still going strong.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 09:08:18 AM »
I agree the price of new cars is way overboard.  The price of used isn't any better.  I bought a 2004 Saturn Vue for the high schoolers last year and it seemed like a deal at $10K.  My 2002 F150 only cost $12K brand new.   :'(

The way a friend on mine who sells cars for a living explained the used market to me is Cash for Clunkers took a huge number of old oil burners off the road.  It also took an even larger number of what would be decent used cars now out of the market too.  Since every car traded in under C4Cs had to be scraped the base price for the remaining used cars was pushed up.  Good ol' supply and demand at work. 

I could have purchased a new Kia or something for about the same money as the Vue but insurance on those little cars is much higher than on a used SUV because they are typically driven by young'uns who have lots of accidents.

We got my wife's 2009 Chrysler Town and Country brand new for a song compared to the sticker price.  We bought it 2 weeks before Chrysler declared bankruptcy.

Assuming no (more) accidents these 3 cars should still be in our garage for 7 more years at which time my youngest goes to college and I might feel like I have some money again.  Even after health insurance increases.  Maybe.

If the powers that be measured inflation by the real cost of living the numbers would be shocking right now.  Sorry, I'll stop ranting.  8)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 09:14:35 AM »
Thanks Paul, That is what I was getting at, Besides the reason that people surmise may be
 the driving force behind the cost...the cost is just disproportionate to where I believe
the cost should be......now better yet, what could be done to change/rectify this??????
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:44:38 AM by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 10:09:41 AM »
Thanks Paul, That is what I was getting at, Besides the reason that people surmise may be
 the driving force behind the cost...the cost is just disproportionate to where I believe
the cost should be......now better yet, what could be done to change/rectify this??????

I don't think there's a comprehensive solution.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 10:28:20 AM »
now better yet, what could be done to change/rectify this??????

Build a time machine and go back 50 years....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
now better yet, what could be done to change/rectify this??????

Build a time machine and go back 50 years....

I don't think a time machine would really help.  The country goes through booms and bust fairly regularly.  People 50 years ago were upset about the same things that we are today.  As Euge said there is no one big fix.

Sadly, the last time the country was at this point it was World War II that saved us.  We kick started our stateside economy to build a war machine.  When the war ended we were the only one standing.  If anyone in the world need something, they bought it from us.  Unless we want to go through that again, we need to find a different way.  Although Europe is starting to look like 1914 and 1939 again too so who knows.

Paul

*** Edit - I just want to point out that I am aware 1982 was not 50 years ago.  It's just the first recession I personally remember being affected by.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:16:56 AM by Slowbrew »
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 01:32:17 PM »
Part of the reason that the price for new vehicles has gone up is the content that is expected or required today. 

The cars of not so long ago were pretty basic.  Today you might have 10 airbags, antilock brakes, stabiltiy control, GPS, power everything, 6, 7, or 8 speed transmissions, direct fuel injection, turbocharging on more and more engines, stricter emissions controls, better crash structure, better rollover protection and so on.  the list goes on and keeps growing.  I forgot the computer controls to make it all work together.

New car buyers want it all, they don't always want to pay for it.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 01:43:36 PM »
Part of the reason that the price for new vehicles has gone up is the content that is expected or required today. 

The cars of not so long ago were pretty basic.  Today you might have 10 airbags, antilock brakes, stabiltiy control, GPS, power everything, 6, 7, or 8 speed transmissions, direct fuel injection, turbocharging on more and more engines, stricter emissions controls, better crash structure, better rollover protection and so on.  the list goes on and keeps growing.  I forgot the computer controls to make it all work together.

New car buyers want it all, they don't always want to pay for it.
True True.....I for one would rather work my muscles and actually turn the steering
wheel...and press on the brakes with the ole foot...heck I still drive a standard tranny...
THAN pay rip off prices for frills and convenience...but unfortunately, there are no
vehicles that are good yet basically equipped.  I said it before and I say it still, the blame
for this goes squarely upon the insurance industry.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 01:44:37 PM »
One of the attractions of the Mk5 is how spartan it is. All I wanted was AC and 4 wheel disk brakes. It also came with a radio and power windows but that's it. There were plenty of other unnecessary features for $$$.

But yes, I was gonna say that too. Most of the cars in the lots are loaded and that's where the profits are.

All my vehicles are paid for and maintained. Probably will be driving them 10-15 ears from now.