Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 11/4 Edition  (Read 5798 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 11/4 Edition
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2011, 04:34:33 pm »
Just came back from the brew supply...... A Tripel and a on the high end of the alc range English IPA. (got a 50# bag of MO for that....ouch....)
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 05:30:21 pm »
Kegged my hoppy red ale last night and am hoping to brew an IPA using Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin hops after church tomorrow. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 07:19:16 pm »
Some racking and kegging tomorrow.  An IPA made with all homegrown hops need s to be kegged. Need to finish some Mead by back sweetening and playing with pH.  Might mix up some apple juice with some honey for a cyser. 

Have some Wyeast 1028, 1007, and WLP 833 on the lab grade stirplate.  The 1028 might go into a SSoS IPA real soon. The 833 needs to be stepped up from 2 liters to 6 before the Maerzen gets brewed.  The 1007 is leftover from a Graetzer, so I will find a use for it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2011, 11:43:11 pm »
The 1007 is leftover from a Graetzer, so I will find a use for it.
Jeff, tell us about your graetzer, here or in another thread.  I'm considering one, but it's not quite on the schedule yet.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 06:42:46 pm »
I started the weekend so hopefully and ended with a lot of homework and tasks completed, but nothing fermenting  :'(
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 07:05:03 pm »
The 1007 is leftover from a Graetzer, so I will find a use for it.
Jeff, tell us about your graetzer, here or in another thread.  I'm considering one, but it's not quite on the schedule yet.

I followed Randy Moshers Graetzer, Real Version on page 192, but made a 10 gallon batch.  Smoked 20 lbs of Weyermann wheat malt over oak.  That was 4 sessions on my grill and smoker, some of you could do that faster.  Toasted 1.5 lbs in the oven.  I have a fixed gap JSP mill, so the wheat went through twice.  2 lbs of rice hulls were used in the mash.  Did the recommended rest at 122F for an hour.  It was very hard to stir at first, like concrete, a little less after an hour.  Sach. rest was at 148-149F, and then after an hour it was very easy to stir.  Lauter went off with no problems.   Saaz to 44 IBU's following Randy's  schedule.  Hit 1.056 vs 1.057 target.  Fermented at 58F, now down to 40F for a lagering period.

A lot of work went into this one.  If it is as good as it sounds in Randy's book, I will be happy.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 10:35:13 pm »
A lot of work went into this one.  If it is as good as it sounds in Randy's book, I will be happy.
Sounds like a lot of work!  I've been eying that recipe, and thinking about doing something along those lines.  I cold smoked 8 lbs of 2-row over apple wood (2 batches) for a beer I'm making soon, but I want that one to be a dark beer. something brownish and strong.  I might mess around with a lighter smoked beer soon, but I want to try this first.
Tom Schmidlin