Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ? are some posts/kegs interchangeable?  (Read 4739 times)

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
? are some posts/kegs interchangeable?
« on: October 02, 2011, 03:06:45 pm »
I have some small kegs (2.5 - 3 gallon) with no markings to reveal if they are corny, firestone or spartan. I also have an assortment of posts, some pin but most ball lock. I have no idea what goes with what. I can only try them out by charging the keg and leak check. Most of the posts look like spartan but there are some pin locks that don't look like anything. And the poppers all look like they should belong to corny posts but, like I said, none of the posts look like corny. So.... How much interchangeability is there with these things? Or should I just RDWHAHB? of course, I am doing that but also trying to figure out this mess of kegs I have.
Ps. I bought these as partmof a much larger all grain system and the kegs and Co2 stuff were incidental. But now I am aiming toward 10 gallon batches and legging needs to be part of that. TIA
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: ? are some posts/kegs interchangeable?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 05:53:59 pm »
Depends on the design for ball lock. Most are of a unique design. I think the threads are mostly the same but the internal depths of the shoulders vary from design to design, and you can't interchange them. There're two basic types of post designs that can be fit onto 95+% of the corny's out there. Not to mention that gas and liquid posts are different as well. Then there is ball lock vs. pin lock.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 05:55:36 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:00:15 pm »
Here ya go, there are 3 different threads:   http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm
That's why I take them apart one keg at a time.
Brew on

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 07:39:27 pm »
Tom,
Thanks for the link. I had no idea that spartan and Cornelius were the same keg type according to the link. The link will be very helpful with sorting out the parts I have. I wish that these kegs had come put together. Unfortunately all the post and lids were in one box so there was no other way to match things up but by means of some sherlock.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 12:56:57 pm »
Hope the poppets are in them.  They are all different too.
Brew on

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 01:19:48 pm »

Unless you buy universal poppets. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/universal-poppet-fits-most-kegs.html'

I've never tried them, so I can't say how universal they are.  But they make that claim...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:15:09 am »
Unfortunately, no. However, I just got the catalog from a supplier and they show a picture of what looks like my 2.5 gallon keg. I am going to inquire as to the manufacture and then I can either match my posts or buy some that are correct.