Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: priming  (Read 3186 times)

Offline dannyj621

• Cellarman
  • humble beginnings
priming
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:58:01 am »
so im bottling wednesday pretty excited its my first brew what is somethings i need to make sure about when bottling and priming
when in rome we shall do as the romans.  When in hell we'll take shots at the bar

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: priming
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:09:41 pm »
Your beer is vulnerable now.
Sanitation: clean everything the beer will come into contact with (well, I guess I don't always boil my caps).
Oxidation: don't walk away to watch the playoffs with the beer exposed to air.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 12:15:30 pm »
Yes... I am assuming that you are using a bottling bucket? You will want to make sure that you transfer very slowly, no splashing what so ever. Then cover your bucket with some foil or a loose lid... I like to add the priming sugar first and rack over it. Then stir VERY gently but make sure you mix it all up very well. I like to stop and gently stir again about every 5 bottles or so to make sure that my priming sugar is evenly distributed in all the bottles that I fill...

Oh and EDIT... Another cool thing to do for first time bottlers is to fill you a couple 12 oz plastic soda bottles too. You can monitor your carbonation levels using these plastic bottles by squeezing them to feel for pressure. This will set your mind at ease weather you are really carbonating or not in your real bottles, and you won't be drinking them way too early!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:18:47 pm by lonnie mac »

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:11:26 am »
Patience! The moment it occurs to you to try the beer it must be ready...Wait some more.
And have batch two going asap. It may be just enough to distract you from drinking your beer
 before it is ready.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline Podo

• Cellarman
  • Korea
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:43:12 pm »
+1 on Patience.  Walk yourself through the process a few times before you start.  Don't rush - better to go slow and get it right than hurry to beat infection/oxidation and screw it up.  The bottling is slow at first, but you get better at it pretty quickly.  Capping only takes a couple minutes.  I usually fill all the bottles, then do all the capping, but do what works for you.
So good once it hits your lips!

Offline lupy

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:17:31 pm »
The dishwasher method for sanitation and storage is very easy and effective.
This is a great time to drink a beer and listen to something you like.
Don't forget to sanitize the caps.
Don't use too much force when capping - the bottle can break fairly easily.
Mark your calander the day you bottled.
Put the phone within reach (if you want to answer).
Brew again ASAP.
$2 words for a 2¢ story

Offline mrdrysdale64

• Cellarman
    • Bay Area Mashtronauts
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 07:55:48 pm »
All great information above. I would like to add that I use to make a simple syrup by adding the priming sugar to a half cup of hot water to dissolve the sugar and then cool the liquid down and adding it to the bottling bucket before racking the beer into the bucket. This makes sure the sugar is dissolved and doesnt sit on the bottom and is distributed well. That way you should not have to stir aggressively to get the sugar mixed.

Another thing I use to do was to bottle one beer in a 12-16 oz PET soda bottle. This was my way of knowing when my beer was fully carbonated. When the PET bottle was hard as a rock my; beer in the beer bottles should be well carbonated.

Mike "Mr. Drysdale" White
Bay Area Mashtronauts

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 07:58:16 pm »
I would like to add that I use to make a simple syrup by adding the priming sugar to a half cup of hot water to dissolve the sugar and then cool the liquid down and adding it to the bottling bucket before racking the beer into the bucket.

+1 to this but I'll add that I don't bother to cool the syrup down at all.  I just take it from the stove, pour it into the bucket, and rack the beer on top of it.  It'll cool down fast enough when the cool beer starts flowing into it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline yaleterrace

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 10:12:07 am »
+1 again to the simple syrup.  5 oz dextrose to 8oz boiling H2O) works well.  i also don't take the time to cool it first, for two simple reasons: it'll mix in better at a lower viscosity (heated), and it's not really necessary.  everyone else has got good advice above, but i'd suggest a few things.

-sanitize, then sanitize again!  you worked hard making it, you should follow through.
-get an auto-siphon, you will love it.  one or two pushes, and its started.
-i siphon about 1 gal into my priming vessel, then add the dextrose syrup, so it has something to mix into.  continue siphoning the rest, but put it at an angle in the priming vessel to get it to very gently swirl the wort (no bubbles!) so it continues to mix the sugar in.
-get a bottle filling rod to attach to your tubing with a depression pin-tip so all you have to do is put it into a bottle and push it down to fill.
-bottle and cap quickly (don't freak out or rush yourself).  oxygen is beer's kryptonite.  a bench capper helps with speed, as does a friendly second pair of hands.
-make sure you use safe (doesn't say "NO REFILL") brown glass bottles, and store them in the dark.  nobody likes skunks.
-take notes!  buy a binder, make a chart, do what you have to, so you know what/what not to do next time.

Cheers!