Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: making two yeast starters  (Read 1207 times)

Offline flatlander

• 1st Kit
making two yeast starters
« on: October 04, 2011, 06:19:28 am »
Going to brew two batches this weekend on two different days, both in the mid .050's.Want to make a starter for both, different yeast. One flask and one stir-plate. What would you do?

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: making two yeast starters
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:23:59 am »
Start one today or tomorrow.  Let it make yeasties overnight, transfer to a sterilized gatorade bottle or similar and place in fridge.  Start #2 same process.  Cool and let sit in fridge.  Take out morning of brew day, decant and let warm.  Add some water, swirl and pitch.  Then have a homebrew..... ;)
Dave Zach

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:37:38 am »
How big of a flask?  According to Mr. Malty, a 10 gallon batch ( 2 x 5 gallons ) at 1.050 on a stir plate would require a 1 liter starter with 2 vials.   I don't see why you can make a starter, pitch half and then save the rest in the fridge for the next day.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:44:16 am »
How big of a flask?  According to Mr. Malty, a 10 gallon batch ( 2 x 5 gallons ) at 1.050 on a stir plate would require a 1 liter starter with 2 vials.   I don't see why you can make a starter, pitch half and then save the rest in the fridge for the next day.

Are they both ales and are you using the same yeast for both?  This would be a good solution......
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 06:47:31 am »
Didn't want to quote myself.  Just read again that it was different yeast.  I go back to my original post in that case.....
Dave Zach

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 06:49:02 am »
Didn't want to quote myself.  Just read again that it was different yeast.  I go back to my original post in that case.....

Whoops...missed that  ::)

In that case, depending on the yeast i would do a starter for the first day, brew early and pitch.  Get the starter going for the second day and pitch later on the 2nd day.  I pitch my starters at high krausen usually, so in the 18-24 hour range.  So if you pitch on day 1 at noon or so, you should have plenty of time for day 2 starter to get to be ready to pitch in the afternoon.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:52:40 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------