Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Some of my stuff  (Read 5733 times)

Offline onebarrel

• 1st Kit
Some of my stuff
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:53:51 pm »

my larger system - 30g HLT 45g MT 30g Kettle 2 x 15g Converts

hop dryer

100lb grist hopper/stir paddle
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:58:32 pm by onebarrel »

Offline eccsynd

• 1st Kit
    • Embedded Control Concepts - BCS-460 Control System
Re: Some of my stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 12:48:32 pm »
Nice setup.  What are the blue tanks made of?
BCS-460 Temp Controller - Interactive web based interface, data logging, and programmable control rules.
http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com
Become an ECC fan on Facebook

Offline onebarrel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 04:59:51 pm »
Those are 55 gallon HPDE plastic drums... food grade, cut the tops off.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:15:00 pm »
Really nice equipment. I like looking at beer making and processing equipment, it gives me ideas on bettering my process. Thanks for sharing.  8)
Ron Price

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:02:31 am »
So the grist hopper/stirrer is for mashing in and stirring the mash, right?  Does the converted plastic drum MLT hold temperature during the mash pretty well, or do you use a RIMS or HERMS?
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline onebarrel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:48:31 am »
Yes, I start the motor on the stir paddle that mixes the hot mash water at 7 RPM then I open up the bottom drawer on the hopper to let the grist trickle out at whatever rate looks good... I use a insulated aluminum bubble blanket (not shown) you can get at the hardware stores around the mash tun once I mash in... It can only go on once the hopper is removed. I can hit the usual mash temps (140's to 150's) and it holds there pretty good for up to 2 hours... I think it might drop 1-2 degs over 90 mins with 100lbs of grain in there (lot of thermal mass)
I made the hopper because mashing in 100 lbs by hand is a lot of work and you loose a lot of temperature... I have a split lid which is not shown... it covers the mash tun when it is mixing so I don't loose too much heat... it is made out of plywood and covered with oak vineer. It usually takes 30 mins to mash in and I don't get any large dough balls.
I can do a step mash with boiling water infusions, but it is hit or miss with this system so I usually stick with single temp which is great for ales... I also do this for lagers and they seem pretty decent also.
The most I have ever done in that tun was 120lbs of grain.