Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

(Munich 10)  Steep or Mash??

It's ok to steep.
This malt needs to be mashed.
I don't know,

Author Topic: Ever used a base malt like a specialty grain?  (Read 3207 times)

Offline ffdfireman

• 1st Kit
Ever used a base malt like a specialty grain?
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:11:34 am »
Hi everyone.  I'm an extract brewer looking to make an IPA.  I tend to (try to) formulate my own recipes versus using a kit.  I'm wondering if anyone has ever steeped a base malt as a specialty grain.  I want to incorporate some Munich 10 in to this IPA, but I'm finding mixed thoughts on procedure.  Some say it can be steeped and some say I should perform a mini-mash with the Munich then proceed with steeping the rest of the grains after the mash.  Please let me know your opinions.  I know some base malts can be steeped while others require a mash to get the sugars out.  The concensus of this forum will dictate how I proceed.  Thanks for your help.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Ever used a base malt like a specialty grain?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:28:40 am »
Munich must be steeped MASHED [edit]. Otherwise you will be rinsing startches instead of sugars into you recipe.

There's really not that much difference between steeping and mashing. You probably have all the necessary componants in your kitchen.

All you have to do is bring 1.25 qts of water per lb of grain to a temp of about 170 degrees, stir in your crushed malt and stabilize at about 150-156. Add cold water if necessary to bring temp within that range. Cover with a couple of blankets and bring about a half gallon of water up to 170 degrees while the grain is mashing. After 30-45 minutes (or up to an hour) fit a colander over a 5 gallon plastic bucket, pour your mash into the conlander, let the running drain and then slowly pour the 170 degree water over the grain.

Sub this amount of wort for the water in your full volume of extract water. Easy!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:45:17 am by majorvices »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:29:22 am »
you won't get any sugars from just steeping (or much sugars anyway) but the difference between a steep and a mini mash is a fine line in my opinion. If you add a bag of grain to 150 degree water and let it sit is that steeping or mashing? If there is base malt in said bag there will be some level of conversion in that process. If you only do it for 20 minutes it might not be very much but some will happen.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:31:44 am »
I think Keith wanted to say it must be mashed, as he lays out the mini-mash technique in a clear fashion.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 09:37:35 am »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 09:46:26 am »
Ooops. Yeah, I meant "mashed" not steeped. Edit made. Thanks guys. :D

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 09:54:56 am »
you won't get any sugars from just steeping (or much sugars anyway) but the difference between a steep and a mini mash is a fine line in my opinion. If you add a bag of grain to 150 degree water and let it sit is that steeping or mashing? If there is base malt in said bag there will be some level of conversion in that process. If you only do it for 20 minutes it might not be very much but some will happen.

One other difference is water/grain ration.  Lots of 'steepers', steep in the full volume of water - not likely to get the pH down low enough for conversion that way.
Joe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 10:11:02 am »

One other difference is water/grain ration.  Lots of 'steepers', steep in the full volume of water - not likely to get the pH down low enough for conversion that way.

point hokerer
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ffdfireman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 08:47:51 am »
Thanks everyone.  I think I'll be performing a mini-mash with the Munich.  Thanks again.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 01:26:17 pm »
I wonder just how different the results would be if you used CaraMunich instead?  That can just be steeped.  But it's no doubt quite different, with the complex sugars and probably not as dry and toasty since it's kilned wet.  Hmm... Something to consider though.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 02:49:15 pm »
Cara Munich is a caramel malt though. Not going to be anything like Munich.