Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lots of trouble rinsing 002/1968  (Read 1067 times)

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Lots of trouble rinsing 002/1968
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:31:16 am »
This yeast is a pain in the neck to reuse.  After adding approximately a half gallon of sterile water to the yeast cake and shaking vigourosly (think cocktail shaker) for at least 5 minutes, the yeast still seems to drop to the bottom of the container just as fast as the trub and there is very little stratification.  The water decanted off of the top of the solids after 15 minutes or so contains very little actual yeast.  Anyone have any tips for rinsing this yeast for repitching?
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Lots of trouble rinsing 002/1968
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:15:14 am »
If you are going to reuse in the next couple of months, I would just keep it as is and pitch it all in your next batch. 

I had the same problem with some US-05 and asked the same question.  I just rinsed the beer out, left the solids and repitched it all.  It took off like a banshee.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:37:12 am »
This strain is like working with pudding. It flocculates extremely fast and is difficult to get into solution. You will have to use some type of a stirring utensil and physically break it up and move it into suspension. Then allow it to settle for 10 min and decant the yeast from there. Try warming it slightly.
Ron Price

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:46:51 am »
I was thinking I could shake it up then put it on a stir plate for a few hours to break it up, but my shaking is much more violent then the stir plate so I am not sure that would add anything.

I also though I could add a quart of starter wort - that should suck up the live yeast and then decant that off the trub when it reaches high krausen.  That just seems like a lot of work!
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:54:14 am »
That does sound like a lot of work but probably your best bet if you want it washed.
Dave Zach