Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how much dry hops for the secondary?  (Read 5012 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: how much dry hops for the secondary?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 12:21:27 pm »
The size is comparable to a ice-tea bag- 2 7/8" by 3 3/4". Sanitize in starsan before loading up with a small amount of hops. I hand-wash and reuse mine. Just work the hops out for they will have swelled, turn it inside out and rinse off the particles. Air-dry.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 09:36:55 am »
got it!... thanks Euge..
cheers and Saludosss
Al Equihua

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 10:47:31 am »
One other consideration is the AA% of the hops. The higher the AA%, the more lupulin and oils, the more aromatic quality you'll get from the hops, therefore lesser quantity can be added to acheive the same level of aroma as a lower AA% hop, however it's all subjective to your personal tastes, where some prefer grapefruit and others prefer piny or resiny...and any combination of aromatics.

I think it will be a matter of trial and error to get to your personal threshold. I like to go with 2 oz of "C" hops in a five gallon corny, as a general rule but it also depends on the beer style I trying to emulate.
Ron Price

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 09:25:21 am »
I think it will be a matter of trial and error to get to your personal threshold.

absolutely, i think is up to me and the result will give me my own personal quantities
thanks!
Al
Al Equihua

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 10:45:19 am »
The biggest factor in preventing the grassy/vegetal aroma is contact time.  I never, ever dry hop for longer than 5 days.  That, in my experience, is the sweet spot for getting great flavor and aroma and preventing that grassy flavor.  But again, my experience is almost entirely with pellet hops which have a higher contact surface area, so that sweet spot may be different for leaf.  Maybe somebody else can comment on that.

Then how do you account for those of us who dry hop for months and don't get off flavors?  I dry hop with both whole and pellet hops and don't get grassy flavors.

I have noticed that when I dryhop with higher alpha hops (Amarillo, Simcoe, CTZ, etc.),  I get no veggie, grassiness, but I have seen this issue when I leave lower alpha hops like hallertauer or even Cascade in for over 5 or 6 weeks.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 10:34:13 am »
Well, after 10 days in the primary, i took a sample last night of my first IPA (OG = 1.069) and measured a 1.008... wow, acording to beersmith it was estimated a 1.017. I mash at 154 F for an hour and batch sparge at 170F. Used two packets of US-05....mmm very strong!

im considering these options to get more aroma and flavor:

a)While still in the primary, i am considering dryhop there for another week and not rack to a secondary. Then the bottling process

b) The tea method... i read about that a few days ago and my plan is to make a weak wort 1.025 Two pints of water and DME with enough Cascade hops to let it sit for an hour at least and then pour it in the bottling bucket just before i rack it from primary and then the bottling process.

What do you think?
Al Equihua

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 10:36:53 am »
I think you should dry hop it. you will not get the same effect with the 'tea' method. it will provide more bitter than aroma or flavour.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 10:42:43 am »
Just dry hop in the primary.  Throw the hops in loose, they will eventually sink.  Rouse every other day to keep them in solution.  You are making things more complicated than they need to be by making the tea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 10:50:19 am »
b) The tea method... i read about that a few days ago and my plan is to make a weak wort 1.025 Two pints of water and DME with enough Cascade hops to let it sit for an hour at least and then pour it in the bottling bucket just before i rack it from primary and then the bottling process.

What do you think?

I just made a number of teas using water and wort to test hop flavors for a Zymurgy article I wrote.  Based on those, I would never recommend making a hop tea and adding kit to your beer.  The ones made with wort were better, but I still wouldn't want to put them in my beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 10:59:47 am »
well 3-0 for the dryhops!.. i apreciate your time for comments!

thanks and saludos!

Al
Al Equihua