Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I never thought it would happen to me . . .  (Read 4372 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
I never thought it would happen to me . . .
« on: October 05, 2011, 06:18:11 pm »
I've heard a bunch of stories about people who are brewing and have the police show up.  It seemed unlikely to happen here nowadays, since a lot of people brew and it has to be a familiar sight.  When I saw the officer drive by I didn't pay much attention, but I knew he'd be back because there's no other easy way out of the neighborhood.  I was kind of surprised when he stopped at the end of my driveway and got out.

The first thing he said was "what kind of beer are you making?"  As it turns out, he's a homebrewer and wanted to stop in and check out my system and talk a bit about beer.  We talked brewing, gadgets, etc for a while, then I gave him a sample to take home and he gave me his email address so I can let him know when various local homebrew clubs meet.  Nice guy. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: I never thought it would happen to me . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 06:20:18 pm »
What, you bribed a cop??   :o

:D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 06:21:38 pm »
It's good to have a friend like that. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 06:34:58 pm »
It's good to have a friend like that. :)

A bribable cop? You betcha!  ;)
Cops are people too. Well, most of 'em...  :D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:03:49 pm »
Cool, I keep hoping some of my 'unknown' neighbors would stop by but
they don't.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 07:34:40 pm »
Actually that's kinda creepy if you think about it. He could have called you first. But all is well that ends well.

I was mowing the front lawn spring last year just wearing shorts and flipflops. Sweating up a storm. A local cop passed by in his cop SUV. He turned around and parked in the shade and watched until I finished mowing. Then he left.

Bothered me for a couple days until I put two and two together. :-\

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:51:06 pm »
Seems a little odd that a cop would invite himself to your brew session...but as you said he was a homebrewer as well and was just curious. Perhaps taking it for face value is reasonable. I assume he was on duty?

Anyway...I'm always willing to help anyone out when it comes to our great hobby...even especially an officer of the law.  :)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:30:53 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 08:00:39 pm »
Anyway...I'm always willing to help anyone out when it comes to our great hobby...even an officer of the law.  :)

Especially an officer of the law!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 08:29:52 pm »
Anyway...I'm always willing to help anyone out when it comes to our great hobby...even an officer of the law.  :)

Especially an officer of the law!

Agreed!
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 08:43:39 pm »
Actually that's kinda creepy if you think about it. He could have called you first. But all is well that ends well.
How would he have called me?  I didn't know him before today.

I was mowing the front lawn spring last year just wearing shorts and flipflops. Sweating up a storm. A local cop passed by in his cop SUV. He turned around and parked in the shade and watched until I finished mowing. Then he left.

I still haven't figured out what 2+2= in this case.

Seems a little odd that a cop would invite himself to your brew session...but as you said he was a homebrewer as well and was just curious. Perhaps taking it for face value is reasonable. I assume he was on duty?
He was on duty but at the end of his shift, running an official errand in my neighborhood (which is not in his jurisdiction).  He didn't exactly invite himself, he asked if I minded if he came up the driveway, he admired the setup, told me he brewed a batch of old ale yesterday, we talked Randall's, mills, NHC, etc.  He stayed for a while.  There was nothing creepy about it, it was friendly and when I start talking about beer I can keep going for a while. If he had been out of uniform I would have been pouring him samples. :)

Cool, I keep hoping some of my 'unknown' neighbors would stop by but
they don't.
This is the same way I feel about it.  People drive by and stare but rarely stop to talk.  I need more people to drink my homebrew so I have an excuse to brew more. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 09:26:44 pm »
Oh you were brewing in the driveway. My bad.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 09:32:28 pm »
Oh you were brewing in the driveway. My bad.
Oh, did I leave out that important detail? ;D  That's my bad!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 10:19:25 pm »

I think this might offer an explanation. http://youtu.be/wyx6JDQCslE  ;D

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 10:41:22 pm »
Ha!  I really hope you were wearing the shiny leopard print pants while you were mowing :)
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 11:05:23 pm »

I think this might offer an explanation. http://youtu.be/wyx6JDQCslE  ;D
Wow.  Just wow.

Although maybe he was just waiting to see if you passed out from heat stroke. ;)
Tom Schmidlin