Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Freezing Beer (by accident) and my perceived changes  (Read 4842 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Freezing Beer (by accident) and my perceived changes
« on: October 06, 2011, 05:55:21 am »
Has anyone ever frozen beer before? I have but it has been years and years ago. Long story short; I forgot to put the ranco probe in my chest keggerator and froze all the beer in there solid. I've only tried two but one is an alt and the other is a tripel. Both are drinkable but they also both seem to have "stronger" flavors than before, especially the alt. Also, the alt now has a haze that wasn't there before. The tripel hadn't completely cleared up prior to freezing but it seems to also have a bit more haze.

Anyone have any experience or science to back this up?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Freezing Beer (by accident) and my perceived changes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 06:23:11 am »
I inadvertently froze a keg of Kolsch a few years ago. It was a sad day for me, but I thawed it out and tasted it...turned out to be a great tasting beer. It did develop a permanant type haze which I believe was due to freezing. I don't think it had any adverse effects on the beer flavor, at least from my taste perception.
Ron Price

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 06:25:24 am »
Certainly a chill haze might develop at the low temp, I'd expect you could fine that out if you cared to.  Otherwise, you sure they are completely thawed?  that or it may have layered out sine the heavier sugared stuff would be liquid earlier.  I froze some and tried it before it had thawed completely, it was like you said until the whole thing thawed and had time to blend again.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 06:34:03 am »
I'm sure there is a way to fine a sanke, but I'm not going to mess with it.  ;) Yes, I'm positive they are completely thawed out.

Stratification is kind of what I thought. Maybe that would explain the stronger flavor on the alt.

Ron, did your beer pour clear before it froze? Did it clear up over time?

I'm not too terribly worried but I do think it is odd that I am noticing these changes. The haze on the alt was definitely not there prior to freezing.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 06:40:45 am »

It did pour relatively clear before it froze and it didn't clear after freezing.
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 10:40:42 am »
I made some eisbiers once.  My temp probe got against the wall of the chest freezer and dropped the temp to 20F overnight.  I caught it the next morning but didn't realize the kegs had frozen because I could still pour beer from them.  A week or so later my irish red died but when I pulled the keg out it was still very heavy. The keg was full of ice, so were my porter and ESB.
The beers were still delicious, very smooth and there were no clarity issues, but I had noticed I could only drink a couple of pints before the alcohol hit me.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 11:29:19 am »
I froze a keg of ordinary bitter once and pulled it out to thaw. Thought it had melted completely after a day. Wrong. But the beers I pulled were very much like a nice bourbon. After several pints- I don't remember how many- no more than four probably the keg was left alone. When it finished thawing what was left resembled Schlitz. And it was very clear.

Guess those pints were the best of it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 02:03:44 pm »
I have a friend who freezes his light lagers, but they are much clearer after freezing than before.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 07:07:44 am »
I got this from Dr Bendford that freezing and thawing beer will make it hazy.
I am not talking about the "Eis" beer where you siphon off the liquid and leave the ice behind.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 08:10:19 am »
I have a friend who freezes his light lagers, but they are much clearer after freezing than before.

He freezes them solid??? WTF for???

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 11:25:36 am »

He did it by accident once and it was the cleanest, best light lager he'd ever made.  Now he does it regularly, and I have to say his beers are always very clean tasting and brilliantly clear.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 01:16:36 pm »

He did it by accident once and it was the cleanest, best light lager he'd ever made.  Now he does it regularly, and I have to say his beers are always very clean tasting and brilliantly clear.

I've got to give that a try sometime. Do you know if he ever had any problems with it swelling his corny keg or maybe plenty of head space would prevent that.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 01:33:51 pm »
You want little headspace as air doesn't compress very well.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 01:53:14 pm »
air doesn't compress very well.

???
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 02:26:37 pm »
Ok my bad. I think you will still have trouble with a lot of headspace though pure co2 is preferable. Not air.