Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: East Coast Yeast  (Read 9445 times)

Offline zen_brew

• 1st Kit
East Coast Yeast
« on: June 23, 2011, 06:24:19 pm »
 Hi all:

I just learned of this yeast at this years NHC. It is a fairly new, lesser known yeast, but has some wonderful flavors. I sampled some Saisons made from it at NHC. I was very exited to try some strains out over the summer, but it appears the sole distributor back east just halted shipments and will not ship all summer long due to concerns over high temperatures during shipment. While I can understand this, it is still ironic that the yeast will be unavailable to be shipped for summer brewing, when the style is perfect for brewing in hot summer months due to the high fermentation temp tolerances of Saison yeasts.

Any chance anyone out west has some of this yeast available for an anxious to try it brewer? I'm particularly interested in the ECY-03 and ECY-08 strains.

Cheers
Beer is like liquid sunshine, and we need all the sunshine we can get in Seattle.

Do not one day come to die, and discover that you have not lived.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: East Coast Yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:17:55 pm »
Who's the manufacturer of this yeast?
Ron Price

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:34:18 pm »
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

narvin

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:22:11 pm »
The manufacturer is pretty much just one guy selling through his LHBS.  He's been giving out sour blends to people on babblebelt.com for a while, but I think the demand got to be so large that he realized he had a market  :)

I may have to go out of my way to stop by Princeton homebrew the next time I drive up 95.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:00:45 am »
I used ECY10 - Old Newark Ale and had great results. It was similar to Pacman for me.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:59:42 am »
There was extensive discussion about ECY on a thread about Ballantine and the old newark yeast on this board some months ago.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline zen_brew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:49:35 pm »
 So seeing as the Saison strains appear to be effectively unavailable to anyone not in the NY/NJ/PA area, does anyone have a recent Saison they brewed with ECY-03/ECY-08 that could be cultured they'd be willing to ship to the Seattle area? I'd cover shipping and return a bottle of any Saison I could get successfully brewed with the culture.

Cheers
Brian
Beer is like liquid sunshine, and we need all the sunshine we can get in Seattle.

Offline zen_brew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 07:30:11 pm »
 Just thought I'd post an update. As the weather has cooled, the East Coast Yeasts are shipping in limited quantities as available. So anyone interested should contact Princeton Home Brew to check out their stock.
 I got the ECY-08 and ECY-03 strains mailed to me up in Seattle. I split the ECY-08 into (2) starters and pitched the first one into a batch of Pumpkin Saison last night. Can't wait to see how it ferments out and tastes. It was a long couple of months waiting for this to become available to ship.

Cheers

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 09:12:31 pm »
Go on the BBB and I wager someone on there will help you out. Al B is a regular
there...http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/forum.html?tid=1108752780&pg=1
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 03:25:56 pm »
Al's a great guy and I've used Old Newark and Belgian White.  Excellent yeast.  He sells though Princeton Homebrew.  I think they might be shipping it again now that the weather is getting cooler. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 05:48:19 pm »
Al's a great guy and I've used Old Newark and Belgian White.  Excellent yeast.  He sells though Princeton Homebrew.  I think they might be shipping it again now that the weather is getting cooler. 

Roger that!   I visited Princeton Homebrew this past weekend and in the course of our conversation Joe confirmed that there has been a lot of interest in the product, and that they will indeed be shipping now that the weather will be posing less risk.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 01:44:51 pm »
It goes fast at the shop.
A couple of times I went in to buy some and Joe said somebody came in yesterday and bought it all.
Not all the yeast just all of the type I wanted.
 >:(
Dan S. from NJ

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 03:09:28 pm »
If you get on Joe's e-mail list he sends out a message when he gets a new shipment.  Usually a drop off on Saturday. 
Homebrewed since 2010