Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Just got a free keg. Couple questions  (Read 2022 times)

Offline nightwing14

• 1st Kit
Just got a free keg. Couple questions
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:11:55 pm »
So I got a free keg and after filling it up with PBW and cleaning it, it leaks. Does this mean I need to get new O-rings for it? Also where would be the cheapest place to get the rest of the stuff I need for kegging CO2 tank, regulator, hose, etc.? No experience with kegs at all.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:21:33 pm by nightwing14 »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Just got a free keg. Couple questions
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 02:43:16 pm »
Where is it leaking from? if from around the lid it is possible the problem is just that the lid is not seated properly. you kind of need a Co2 set up to check that though. It never hurts to replace the o-rings on a used keg that you don't know how it was treated though.

In terms of getting the stuff you need check out kegconnection.com. They have good prices on alot of that stuff. For an actuall co2 tank I would decide if you are going to get it refilled or swap it out when empty. You can buy a tank from kegconnection or one of the other companies or you can probably go to where ever you are getting your gas and buy one there. The one you get at the gas place will be all beat up and dinged and not pretty but if you are goign to swap out anyway that's what you are going to end up with
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:06:07 pm »
+1 to the gasket kit. They are cheap and you should replace them all. A kit comes with all 5 gaskets for about $5 and it takes you 5 minutes to change them out. Well worth it in my opinion. I bought a keg once that just reeked of sprite. Couldnt wash the scent out of the gaskets. With rootbeer, its even more noticeable. You dont want those flavors or smells in your beer.

As for the co2 tank, I'd start to check out craigs list. You're bound to find one there. Another good place to find a less expensive tank is a used restaurant supply store. The regulators can be found on craigs list too but Ive never really seen a good deal on a regulator. They all come in around the $70-$80 range.

Good luck, man. Once you start kegging, you'll never look back!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:49:06 pm »
Keg lube or petro gel is another must.  Lubing your gaskets help seal the lid and eases connecting and disconnecting QD's.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:05:27 am »
+1 to new gaskets and some lube. 
Also, make sure the popets are seated properly if you removed them and don't overtighten when you replace the posts. Recently, I had a couple used kegs that I couldn't get to seal after my first cleaning as well.  I dedided to try breaking them down and putting them back together being really careful with the popets and the posts.  Charged them with some CO2 over a month ago and they're still holding tight just fine.  Ready to lager some nice Cali Common!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified