Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Disposable Worker  (Read 1843 times)

Offline loopy

• Brewer
The Disposable Worker
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:39:44 pm »
I just found out today my position is being eliminated. there is a possible role open if I am interested in it, middle management where I would get to manage the outsourced group who replaces the team I now work on as I phase out the rest of the team still there if I so desire. suck suck sucks

I just read this a few days ago, it's long but a decent take on the phenomenon.  I guess I'm a statistic. 
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_03/b4163032935448.htm

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: The Disposable Worker
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 08:16:08 am »
I just found out today my position is being eliminated. there is a possible role open if I am interested in it, middle management where I would get to manage the outsourced group who replaces the team I now work on as I phase out the rest of the team still there if I so desire. suck suck sucks

I just read this a few days ago, it's long but a decent take on the phenomenon.  I guess I'm a statistic. 
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_03/b4163032935448.htm

Where's your new team? Ours is in Brazil. Use the experience to update your resume, and cherry pick your next job. Now you'll have experience being a manager of a local team and a "best" shore team. (off shore is derogatory) There are fewer words in my vocabulary that I am allowed to use everyday, because someone is overly sensitive. (but I'm getting off the point here)
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:22:21 am »
A tough position to be in for sure, but at least you'll have a job! A lot of people can't say that these days. Hope it all works out.  :)     
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:23:07 am »
I did a quick read of the article The Disposable Worker and all I can say is Wow!  If what they say is true and continues, housing will never stabilize because there will be a constant turmoil from people losing their homes.   :(   I also recently looked at an article yesterday that listed several jobs that are predicted to never bounce back, one of them being home construction, others were finance, clerks, etc.  The world is changing rather suddenly imo.  I don't know how it will be for the better either unless they're going to pass out gizmo's like the "replicators" used on Star Trek.   ::)